Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-M61PME-S2P will not boot from IDE drive

n8xk

GA-M61PME-S2P will not boot from IDE drive
« on: January 31, 2012, 02:47:34 pm »
Hello, I am trying to boot from a hard drive connected to the IDE header. The BIOS shows the drive during post, but it will not boot. After a minute or so I get a no bootable disk message.

I have tried every combination with the jupper's on the hard drive, and tried several hard drives.
The strange thing is that I can instal a OS to the hard drive from a DVD, but when it comes time to boot from the new instal, it hangs with the error message.

The computer boots just fine from the SATA hard drive but not from the IDE drive. I use the boot menu and choose the IDE drive.

Do I need to change any settings in the BIOS? I have looked for a setting to change however do not see anything that I feel comfortable changing without guidance. I am not a novice, but I don't know much about BIOS settings.

I am using a slide in IDE hard drive rack, my goal is to test diffirent Linux distro's while keeping my main SATA hard drive safe.

Thanks n8xk

motherboard: GA-M61PME-S2P Rev: 1.0
BIOS version: F6
main (SATA) operating system: PCLinuxOS
IDE operating system: Linux Mint

n8xk

Re: GA-M61PME-S2P will not boot from IDE drive
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 11:34:50 pm »
After talking with a tech. at a local computer store, (Micro Center), I feel the trouble lies with the OS and not the BIOS settings. If anyone feels differently please comment.

I do have another issue that is some what related, since this motherboard has only two SATA headers I installed a PCI SATA controller card. However the hard drive connected to it does not appear in the POST, so I can not boot from this drive. Is there a setting in the BIOS to make the motherboard see this drive on the PCI card?

n8xk