Official GIGABYTE Forum

X58a OC Having a melt down :(

RED

X58a OC Having a melt down :(
« on: February 08, 2012, 08:53:36 am »
Hi i was wondering if anyone can help...

i have had a leak from my CPU block, :-X it has dripped down onto the north bridge heatsink and through the pci-e slots. I have dried all i can see and cleaned with alcohol, put everything back in. The motheboard doesn't beep and only gets to C1 on the LED screen. :-[ Can anyone help with this, is it my graphics card mashed or motherboard?

Thanks,
         RED

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: X58a OC Having a melt down :(
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 10:33:38 am »
Hi and welcome.

It sounds a bit drastic doesn't it.

If you were using some sort of made up chemical coolant I would suggest that you remove the motherboard, take off all the components and clean it in some clear water preferably distilled. It sounds like you have a residue of contaminants still on the board. Once completely clean dry it off totally. You can just hang up to dry or help it with the aid of a hairdryer but not too much heat. Once you are certain that it is totally dry which might take several days you can give it a wipe over with some alcohol if there are any suspect areas.

This may or may not work now as you have already applied power to the board since the original leak and so it could have already shorted and damaged components. You do this at your risk.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 11:45:29 am »

Capillary action pulls the fluid in and under any area with mating parts .... DMs advice is sound advice .... even better if you have some ....20% IPS Alcohol mixed with DI water with help dissolve residues in places you cant get into and will shorten drying times dramatically ...be liberal with a 1" paint brush and work the solution into the area you feel needs doing......and have the board vertical on a towel...... this will allow the contaminated fluid to run away.

if you have an oven that goes low enough ..... Ive used this method but you need it down around 50-60C tops and several hours ....to bad you powered it up..... hard lesson learn't Huh! .... but I reckon you still have a 50/50 of getting a good result  ....  8)

Aussie Allan

i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 01:11:28 pm »
C1 is a memory error, but since you got the NB Wet it could be erroring like that due to the NB being shorted out?

C1 Detect memory, Auto-detection of DRAM size, type and ECC, Auto-detection of L2 cache

You can wash a motherboard in the shower anytime you want and it will survive, you just MUST make sure it's 100% totally dry before applying an electrical charge to it.   So if you did not let it fully dry for a few days or under a low heat lamp or fan, then you may have damaged it when you tried to turn it back on if it was still wet in any way.

Hopefully you can either clean it off more, and dry it again, or just let it dry out longer and then maybe it will work!