Official GIGABYTE Forum

Upgrading to a GA-990XFA-UD3. I welcome suggestions, comments, good advice, etc

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
No!

in fact, when I install the OS onto an SSD I go through the initial install process then when Windows asks to create the partition I make sure there is only one partition on the drive (I do not allow Windows7 to create the 100 Mb System Reserved bit).

To do this go through the process of installing Windows7 then, when it comes to the disk creation/partition screen go advanced. Allow Windows to creat teh partition and it will automatically create the 100 Mb one too. Then delete the larger partition and then extend the 100 Mb partition to use the whole drive.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Thanks Absic!  I have never heard of this method before.  Can you help me understand why you choose this method?

Thanks,

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi Soar,

I chose this method after a LOT of research and trawling the internet for advice prior to getting my own SSD's. The 100Mb partition created during Windows7 Install is really not needed, it is basically used to store some DOS information to help with PC recovery and is there more as a safety net than for serving any useful purpose. I have been running my SDD's without this partition and I can still restore my system from the Windows Back-up image whenever I have needed to.

On the old HDD's we used to advise the creation of partitions because these drives were that much slower. Creating an initial partition for the OS would place the necessary files into a smaller disk area thus speeding up the BOOT process and the way that Windows worked. With today's SSD's this is unnecessary as they are so fast you will struggle to keep up with them.

Depending on what programmes you are going to install and how you configure your system a 120GB HDD for the primary BOOT drive is probably about the right size. I have 2 X 60GB SSD's and have used just over 50% of the total capacity with Windows 7 and the vast majority of my software.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
I don't do that at the moment absic but not for any reason other than it happens automatically. What you say makes sense though and next time I install the OS I will do it that way I think. See never too old to learn....just takes a bit longer now! ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
Another thing to consider is that SSD's need to have the partition aligned.
With Windows7 this is done automatically during install and removing the 100Mb partition can help.

As I said, I did do a LOT of research before investing in SSD's for myself and have also done a lot of experimenting/testing since getting hold of the little devils for myself and I believe this is the best first step to make.

You two are the best.

Thanks and will do!

To be honest with you, I am tempted to use two of the Agility 2 SSD's in RAID 0 [I think the speed would almost double], but I have never tried a RAID set up, and I think it would not permit TRIM, and that concerns me.

I do have a number of the Intel 160 GB SSD's, and although I would prefer the faster SATA III, I am not willing to pay the price for a larger capacity SSD III at the moment.  I keep reading articles that SATA III, although significantly faster than SATA II, barely shows the increased speed in real world scenarios and applications...

Although I have one SATA III SSD [Crucial C300], I refuse to stress out anymore from the low storage capacity....[64gb].  Hence, my decision to go with the Intel 160 GB.  The nice thing about the Intel 160 GB, is it has a 5 year warranty, tons of excellent reviews, the Intel Toolbox, and no worries about overloading the storage capacity with OS and programs.

Do you two agree that the difference between SATA II and SATA III is negligible in real world settings [example: internet surfing, word processing, watching movies, etc.]?  Or is there truly a noticeable difference in every day computing?

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Another thing to consider is that SSD's need to have the partition aligned.
With Windows7 this is done automatically during install and removing the 100Mb partition can help.

As I said, I did do a LOT of research before investing in SSD's for myself and have also done a lot of experimenting/testing since getting hold of the little devils for myself and I believe this is the best first step to make.

I would agree now that I know about it. There is a great deal of different working procedures with SSDs compared to magnetic disks and like you I did a lot of reading before buying my first one. I will just be glad when they finally sort out the use of TRIM in the RAID arrays. Intel is supposed to have it sorted out but I haven't seen any sign of it yet.

soar

I really wouldn't worry much about SATA2 or SATA3 as some of the SATA2 drives will beat some of the SATA3 drives. It is more a case of good and not so good drives to be honest.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:22:37 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi Soar

once again, I have tested my two SATA3 SSD's in standalone (AHCI Mode) and RAID0 configurations on both the AMD and Intel platforms. I also have a 90GB OCZ Agility SATA2 SSD and have been able to do some comparisons here.

Yes, SSD's in RAID0 will give you faster speeds but, in the real world, you will only really notice this when first installing the OS and programs. The systems will take slightly longer to POST with RAID enabled as the BIOS needs to access the RAID Chip. As DM has mentioned, the situation with TRIM in RAID is still a bit hit and miss and in most instances any SSD's in a RAID Array will have to rely on Garbage Collection rather than TRIM for keeping things working properly. Personally, I have found things to be better when I have run my drives as separate units rather than combined.

A SATA3 SSD on a SATA3 controller again is faster than a SATA2 SSD on a SATA 2 controller but you are right when you say that you will not see any real difference in day-to-day operations with things like opening web pages, word processing etc. It is the speed with which the basic program opens where you will notice a difference. But again, this is more noticeable when first switching from an HDD to an SSD rather than between SATA2 and SATA3 SSD's.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:47:43 pm by absic »

Thanks again gentlemen!

You sure have a good way of making things very clear and I appreciate both of you.

For now, I will go the Intel route.

Cheers!

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Ok, just finished installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  So sorry about the delay, but our vacation time was over and I had to go back to work...

My next question:

Shall I install all the Gigabyte recommended drivers or should I refrain from the Marvel drivers?  I remember somebody telling to use Intel drivers for the SSD...

Can you help me please by refreshing my mind?

Thanks,

Soar

PS  This new 990xfa somehow is transferring files from my USB 2.0 flashdrive triple the speed of my Intel 2500k rig:

Intel rig USB 2 transfer speed: 10mps
AMD rig USB 2 transfer speed: 33mps
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:12:05 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Hi again everyone!

Ok, a quick update:  It's been a few weeks now and the system is working purrrrrfect.

Just wanted to come back here and give a big thank you to everyone that helped me do it right.

I am very happy with the new GA-990XFA-UD3, and the thirteen month old 1055T keeps chuggin' along doing its job well.

I will try to post some pics soon!

Have a great day everyone!

Soar
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 08:57:40 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4