Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 unable to boot, fails with “MAIN BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR”

Summary: A 2-month-old computer is unable to boot. It always restarts following the “MAIN BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR!” after copying over the Backup BIOS. There were some signs of hardware issues earlier (see below). I’ve followed the advice on previous related threads (as detailed below), and fear the motherboard may be defective. I’d appreciate any advice on what else I should try to diagnose and fix the issue.

The computer was built late December 2011 with the GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard and hasn’t been modified (or even opened) before the current issue. Two sudden shutdowns occurred near the end of January (roughly 1 month ago). This prompted me to run memtest to check if bad memory sticks or bays were responsible. A single full pass completed successfully. Additionally, the CPU temperatures were being regularly monitored since the machine was built and no overheating issues were observed.

Additional signs of trouble were seen one week ago when the machine had trouble powering up. It didn’t power up the first time, but instead shutdown and restarted seconds later. It then successfully booted. With these troubles I began researching potential hardware issues, but didn’t take any actions.

Yesterday began the insurmountable issues. First, the machine wouldn’t power up to the BIOS flash screen at all. I stripped out all of the non-essential hardware (video card, WLAN card, optical drive, and all but 1 stick of RAM). The machine would now turn on, and after several failed boot cycles it did eventually boot into the OS. In some of these failed cycles the machine wouldn’t even reach the BIOS flash screen. In at least one other, the “MAIN BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR!” message was shown and the backup BIOS was copied over.

From this point, peripheral hardware was added back on; one component at a time. I’d believed the issue was now isolated as a single stick of RAM, which when included would prevent booting to the BIOS flash screen. The system successfully booted to the OS with all peripheral hardware except this single stick of RAM.

The system was then restarted from the OS, and again failed to boot. It would only reach the “MAIN BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR!” and it would encounter this error on every boot. Again, all of the peripheral components were stripped out, but the machine still encountered the same errors.

Several solutions proposed on this forum for similar situations were tried: The motherboard battery was replaced, the machine was left unpowered without the battery overnight, and the latest non-beta BIOS was flashed onto the motherboard using Q-flash. Lastly, I just allowed the machine to go through the failed boot cycle six times, as some people had mentioned the motherboard might be able to break out of this loop eventually. Nothing has fixed or even changed the current issue. At this point I’m not sure what else can be done.

Is there anything else that I can try to diagnose and fix this problem? Is it possible there is a true hardware-level issue with the motherboard, and this cannot be fixed? If so, why didn’t it present itself immediately? Would such a defective motherboard fall under the standard warranty?

Thanks in advance for all and any help!

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 unable to boot, fails with “MAIN BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR”
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 08:43:13 pm »
Hi and welcome.

Firstly to allay your fears the warranty would cover the motherboard as it is not working as it is supposed to. I can't say why exactly it suddenly happened but that is immaterial.

Try these two things in this order and then post back.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery overnight before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.

Next:

You can kick in the backup BIOS by shutting down the PSU from the wall, then hold down your case power button in and then turn on the power supply button, a few seconds later the board will start, shut off the power supply then.   Then you can turn on the power supply again and power up the board normally and DualBIOS will kick in.

Good luck and let me know what happens. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 05:50:07 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply and the advice!

As instructed, I tried the 1st thing and encountered the same issue as before.

I next tried to kick in the backup BIOS following your directions. I preformed the procedure several times, but didn't notice any change. I did notice that each time the machine was powered on normally (the last step), it would almost immediately shut off and then turn back on a few seconds later. Should this be expected? Or is this possibly preventing the backup BIOS from kicking in?

I've noticed this same behavior - the machine immediately turning off and restarting when powered on - along with the other recent issues.  This behavior was only previously noticed sporadically, where as in attempting to kick in the backup BIOS it was noticed every time.

Also, to be specific, here is the exact error message that is being encountered:

"""
Warning: MAIN BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR!

Retrieving recovery source from HPA.... HPA BIOS not available!!

Retrieving recovery source from Backup BIOS.... Done!
Writing BIOS Image..... 4080K OK
"""

After this message the machine reboots.

Please let me know if there is anything else I should try to diagnose/fix this issue.
Thanks again!

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 09:09:45 am »
From what you have explained there the Backup BIOS has indeed written itself over to the Main BIOS. It might be that both BIOSes have been corrupted, in which case a RMA is called for.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

F5BJR

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 11:06:49 am »
Can you test with a bootable disk with ?

Autoexec.bat --> flashspi your bios name.xxx
Flashspi.exe
bios name.xxx

Pierre

GA-X58A-UD5 I7 930
6x2Go KINGSTON 9905403-084
ENERMAX Modu 82+
Sharkoon REBEL12
2*HD5770SingleSlot+PCI-HD4350
2xSENSY 26'
2xBOX 5HD HotPlug
3xBOX 34HD MaxinPower