Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-G41MT-D3V Verifying DMI Pool Data + hard drive cabling issues

m3zzr

GA-G41MT-D3V Verifying DMI Pool Data + hard drive cabling issues
« on: February 18, 2012, 10:27:20 pm »
Hello,

Tried to search this forum for some answers so apologise if this is covered somewhere else on this forum.

Just purchased Motherboard stated in the Subject title.

I have spent about 2 days trying to get this work.

Problem appears to be with hard drives and then booting from them.

First Problem:
Stuck 4 x New hard disk onto the motherboard (2x500GB and 2x1000GB)

I placed:
2x500 on Serial ATA ports 0 and 1
2x1000 on Serial ATA ports 2 and 3

The computer did not detect any drives.

I tested just one hard drive on port 0 and it detected fine and additionally on the rest of the ports.
I did this for all 4 drives.

I then managed to get it to see 3 drives with the 4th detecting but showing blank.
After some playing about, I have managed to get it to see all 4 drives with the following

1x500 = port 0
1x1000 = port 1
1x1000 = port 2
1x500 = port 3

If i swap cables say port 2 and 3, it doesnt detect any hard drives.

Ive also swapped sata cables from another computer i use and does the same with these so it is not a cable issue.

Second Problem:
When it detects all hard drives, it sticks around on "Verifying DMI Pool Data" for 5 minutes before it carries on booting.

If I only plug any 1 of the 4 hard drives in, the system functions fine. So issue arises with multiple hard drives.

To eliminate power supply which I know works, I took my very expensive heavy duty power supply from my gaming rig which is used to power 2x8800Ultra's and the above same issues happen so I know its not a power supply issue.

Ive reset bios both from jumper and removal of battery, loaded failsafe/optimal settings, tried to change boot sequence, made sure the hard drive with the OS is on is set to boot in hard drive priority etc.

After 5 mins, it will proceed with DMI pool data and load the OS which appears to work fine until machine is restarted.

Has anyone got any information that I could look into. At this moment in time i am suspecting that I may have a faulty motherboard

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-G41MT-D3V Verifying DMI Pool Data + hard drive cabling issues
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:03:45 am »
Hi and welcome.

I am a little bit lost here as to what your problem is in as much as you have said that it is now detecting all your drives ok.

I would suggest disconnecting all but the boot drive and then installing the OS. After this is up and running you can add the other drives and they should be fouind and you can format them. Use the Windows utiolity by right clicking on "My Computer" and selecting Manage and then Storage/Disk Management where you can add the drives and do anything else you need to do.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

m3zzr

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:46:40 am »
Hi,

I have given up with this motherboard.

Basically, it's fussy with hard drive goes on which port, sticks on verifying pool data for 5 minutes before  progressing and thats only when I set the first boot device to floppy although there isnt no floppy in the system.

It also takes over 5 hours to install Windows 7 even when the computer has one brand new hard drive in it.

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 07:19:13 pm »
You want floppy Disabled from the the standard CMOS page of the BIOS, if not that is what causes windows install to take forever!!  It's there, at the very bottom

Also be sure you are using the latest BIOS, and that you are using Optimized Defaults to start with not Fail Safe.