Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z68AP-D3 BOOT BUG / Glitch ?? When installed with SATA CONTROLLER CARD & SSD

HOPE YOU GUYS FIX THIS.... Hi i have a Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Rev 1 with the latest Bios F6 and Bios  F7e bios (i have tried both and both have this BOOT BUG / Glitch ). It seems when i add the Rosewill RC-215 RAID Sata Controller Card to my PCI slot my BIOS will not allow me to change the " Hard Disk Boot Priority " to my SSD drive (IT DOESNT EVEN SHOW UP!!) ,  This is how to replicate it ...

Description of BUG: When adding a extra add-in PCI SATA RAID controller to the PCI slot,  the System will not detect the hardware under "Hard Disk Boot Priority" after setting the BIOS's SATA Controller to AHCI or XHD RAID...therefore not allowing you to choose the proper boot disk/controller/device.

Enter BIOS
Step 1: Load Fail Safe Defaults  AND/OR Load Optimized Defaults Load Optimized Defaults (Tested on both setting and same results)
Step 2: eXtreme Hard Drive (XHD) = ENABLED
Step 3: PCH SATA Control Mode = RAID(XHD) or AHCI
Step 4: Hard Disk Boot Priority = I CANT FIND IT, ITS NOT LISTED - ITS A BUG!!!!!

GA-Z68AP-D3   SATA PORT CONFIGURATION
      SATA3_0 = Crucial M4 128GB SSD
      SATA3_1 = 1TB Seagate 6Gb/s
***SATA2_2 = 2TB Seagate 3Gb/s
***SATA2_3 = 2 TB Seagate 3Gb/s
      SATA2_4 = Lite-On DVD Burner
      SATA2_5 = Empty

*** Means Drives are on RAID 1 Configuration

My System Specs

Intel 2500K ( stock not overclocked)
Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Rev 1 F6 BIOS (Tried F7e also)
8GB  (2x4GB) Crucial Memory DDR3 1600  ( installed main-board slots DDR3_1 & DDR3_2 )
BFG 8800 GT 512 MB Video card PCIex
128GB Crucial M4 (with latest firmware)
(2x) 2 TB Seagate  in  RAID 1 on Motherboards Intel RAID Controller
1TB Seagate  SATA3 6Gb/s
Rosewill RC-215 VIA PCI SATA 1.5G x2 / ATA 133 (IDE) x1 Controller Card ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132012 )
Lite-On DVD Burner

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Disable XHD, you do not need that enabled, this may or may not solve the issue if there is some other incompatibility, but you want that set to disabled

eXtreme Hard Drive (XHD) ........................ Disabled
PCH SATA Control Mode  ..................... AHCI or RAID (RAID May cause issues with the controller card, so test AHCI first if you can, remove other RAID drives if needed while testing)
SATA Port0-3 Native Mode  ............. Either

Ohh, and use Optimized as your starting point, not fail safe!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 11:41:24 am by Lsdmeasap »

Yea i said AND / OR meaning i tried both settings (Defaults  AND/OR Load Optimized)...

It only happens if i connected a hard drive and CDrom to the PCI card, im not really sure whoes at fault..gigabyte or the PCI raid card manufacturer, i just ended up taking out the PCI card so i wouldnt have to deal with it and am running 1 DVDRW drive instead of 2.

Lsdmeasap

I know, I was just saying that so you would know it's best to start that way is all.

Sounds like a compatibility issue with the controller card to me, often those do not play very nicely with CD drives as they are meant for hard drives, so that could be the issue.  Rosewill makes very cheap products, the last three things I've bought from them were terrible, so that very well may be the issue.

Although, since that is IDE controller, it could be your jumper settings that are causing issues.   Be sure you put the hard drive as master on the end of the cable and set the jumper to Master or CS (Sometimes CS does not work, so use master first).  Then put the CD in the middle of the cable and set jumper to Slave or CS (Same as above for CS)

And to add to all this, often mixing CD and hard drives on the same cable even in older IDE based motherboards caused issues, so this is probably not going to work out nicely no matter how you try it.   Best to update everything to SATA, no need to use old IDE on a new Z68 board anyway when SATA CD drives are only $20 or less.

i was using SATA DVDRW drives and hard drives, i didnt run anything in IDE mode on the SATA Rosewill RC-215 RAID Sata Controller Card. as stated i dont know what the issue was, im sure gigabyte would say its rosewill and rosewill would say its gigabytes problem, ill just wont use the PCI SATA CARD AdAPTER.

Lsdmeasap

I didn't mention IDE mode, I said IDE because the controller you linked is an IDE based controller (IE you have to connect devices via IDE Ribbon cable).   So what I mentioned in regards to IDE cables and jumpers fully applies.

So it could still be any of what I mentioned above, or an incompatibility, but you can't be sure it's just an incompatibility if you do not set the things I mentioned above

I dont have anything in there that using IDE cables, everything is SATA, i just wanted the SATA PCI CARD for extra SATA devices and to use one port as a eSATA, but i guess it aint happening, im just gunna take out the card for now, no big deal, ill get a name brand SATA PCI card later on down the road and see how that works.

Lsdmeasap

Ahh ok, thanks for the clarification!   I didn't even see that had a SATA connection on it!  It's bogus 1.5Gb/s SATA anyway, so ya I'd just remove it as well