Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-880GA-UD3H Operation system cannot install OS on raid arrays

GA-880GA-UD3H Operation system cannot install OS on raid arrays
« on: January 08, 2012, 07:15:02 am »
I have GA-880GA-UD3H MB with F7 bios. Phenom x6 CPU with 12Gb ram.

two 500Gb sata HDs connected AMD SB850 ports and two 2Tb HDs connected Gigabyte Sata2 ports.
Bios configuration done to activate RAID on both controller. Two 500Gb drives configured as RAID0 as operation system array and two 2Tb drives configured as RAID1 as storage / data array.
Bios configured to boot first from harddrive and second from optical drive.

one PATA DVDdrive connected to a system to install OS (initially I used SATA dvd but gigabyte technicall service told me sata drive wont be bootable when raid active so i changed to pata)

Im trying to install windows7.  Normaly windows cant see any volume to install operating system and asks for driver. I load
\64bit\Xraid_f.inf
\RaidW7\W764A\ahcix64s.inf
drivers from driver CD. Windows sees both arrays succesfully but neither of them operating system installable. when i click any of them windows gives 0x80300001 error and says operating system cannot installed on this volume.

Im trying make this configuration works for months. I need help about this issue. Is it possible to define two raid array on two controller on this MB at the same time and use one of them as OS drive? if it is not I will need recomendation for whatever MB doing it.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 07:15:54 am by Newestbie »

Re: GA-880GA-UD3H Operation system cannot install OS on raid arrays
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 09:06:51 am »
I Had exactly the same symptoms ,on a GA-880GMA-USB3  ,The only difference was that I only had the main array and no other HDDs connected .
I went through the stages ,loaded drivers ,same as you ,and got to the "choose drive to load OS" Screen and got the same error .
I tried several times , if I remember correctly ,it worked in the end , when I got to that stage instead of just restarting ,I took a back step to the previous stage and it worked ,sorry I cannot remember exactly how I went back ,it was some time ago . I never really figured what the problem was but once it loaded the OS everything worked ok after that ,and I had forgotton all about it ,until I saw your post.

autotech

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 04:40:39 am »
When ever i do a raid i have learner that all drives need to be same size. I know the 2 x 500 gig will work as raid 0 used it for years if i was going to go higher i would of made it raid 1 and 0 using 4 x 500 gig drives. Just personal experiance there maybe do the raid 0 and then after installing windows add the other 2 with raid 1.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 05:27:53 pm »
Just done a raid 1 install myself and had the same issues.

here's what you need to do.

once you are at the point of having loaded the raid drivers, you will be taken back to the list of drives and you will see the drive arrays shown but the message can't install on this partition showing although you could delete or create partitions and format the drives.

At this point re-insert the windows installation disk and click the X in the top right of the window to close the window.
You will be asked if you wish to cancel the installation.  Click yes.
You will be taken back to the main install or repair window
continue as you did before and you will end up at the drive list window again.  The difference being that you will  now see the drive arrays appear straight away- no need for the drivers as you have already installed them.  Also you will find that the error message is not displayed and you will be able to install windows on which ever drive array you wish.

Hope this helps.

Note: if you do not reinsert the windows disk before retrying the installation it will ask for the cdrom drivers which are on the windows disk!