Official GIGABYTE Forum

Motherboard not POST-ing

Motherboard not POST-ing
« on: February 29, 2012, 11:04:28 am »
This is going to be a long winded post but please bare with me. I recently bought a system from these peoplehttp://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-092-OE  and after I'd installed it I would find the system would power on and the fans would spin but I would get no video and no beep to say the system was ok.  After checking everything and not getting a result I RMA'd it back to the seller who tested it (apparently) and said there it tested ok, charging me £12.50 and cost of delivering it back to me.  However on getting it back I still had the same problem, the board would power on but not POST.

I am currently in discussion with people that provided the system and they are saying have I tested on a carboard box?  I have. Have I tried using another PSU?  I have.  I've also tried using another video card with no result.

The board is a Z68X-UD5-B3
Memory: Kingston Hyper X Genesis Grey 8gb
PSU: OCZ StealthXtreme 600watt
CPU: Intel Core I7-2700K overclocked by the seller to 4.60ghz

On the sellers instruction I have cleared the CMOS so all CMOS settings should be back to default but still no POST.

Any additional help you guys can provide would be appreciated.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Motherboard not POST-ing
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 11:28:39 am »
Hi there,

Having checked the link you provided I wanted to warn other members not to advise updating the BIOS as this will void your warranty! If this step is required then you should only do this if advised by the seller.

What Graphics card are you using? Have you connected any power leads to the GPU if required? Which slot are you using and have you tried a different one?

What monitor are you using? How is it connected (DVI, HDMI etc)?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 11:40:28 am »
Hi yes don't worry, the resetting of the bios was done at the sellers advice.

The video card is a Zotac Geforce GTX460, the power leads are connected to the graphics card.  I have tried the video card in all the slots with no joy.  I have tried a different video card yes.

The monitor is combined VGA/DVI, have tried both connections.

The seller has advised purchasing a new PSU due to possible 'capacitor ageing' as they used a 750Watt PSU when testing.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:43:17 am »
Yes, the PSU is often overlooked, especially on PC's that are overclocked and if yours is more than a couple of years old this could well be the problem.

Do you have access to a higher powered PSU that you can test with before rushing out and buying one?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 12:49:46 pm »
Sadly not, only one that is of a similar wattage and age.  The people that supplied the motherboard said they can supply one and if it doesn't work I can send it back and get my money returned.  I might have to do that.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:59:12 pm »
As you are under warranty I think this may be the best course of action for you.
If the PSU they supply gets things working then great and if it doesn't, then at least you can get your money back.

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 07:16:21 pm »
Have you tested with a single stick of memory, how about a single stick of memory that did not come with that system?

BIOS update ONLY voids the warranty/guarantee on the overclock, nothing else.   And since you already cleared the CMOS, per their instructions, you likely lost the overclock settings anyway unless they saved them in a named profile.
Updating the BIOS on the overclocked bundle range will void the warranty on the overclock. If you update the BIOS we will no longer be able to provide support for configuring and maintaining the CPU overclock.

So I would update the BIOS using Qflash to the latest version, then sort out the overclock later once you get going.

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 02:13:40 pm »
It was the power supply not being able to supply enough power to the motherboard.  I bought a new 750watt power supply and lo and behold the motherboard booted.  Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 02:27:14 pm »
Hi again,

pleased to see you have got it sorted. Hopefully now, you can get on with enjoying your new PC and I also hope you have been able to restore the overclock settings without any problems.

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 08:59:04 am »
Great to hear you found the cause of this issue!   Post back anytime if you need more help with anything!