Official GIGABYTE Forum

new build GA-880GMA-USB3 FX 6100 16gb ram monitor (no signal)

Re: new build GA-880GMA-USB3 FX 6100 16gb ram monitor (no signal)
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 09:42:18 am »
Typical ,but I fear your right , its possibly not supported ,I have sent an email ticket to gigabyte .
will it run at 1333 ok  without compromizing the modules . by running at a lower spec.
I usually just check the motherboard spec ,and get memory from crucial ,never failed .
this time, as I was using a lot (max) memory I thought I would do things right (and being cute) I checked the memory support list ,and choose memory off there assuming as it was on the list that gigabyte had confirmed it was working , incidently crucial also lists 1600 modules for this board .
well, I will wait (probably several days) for a reply from gigabyte and see what they have to say.
thanks again ,and sorry for taking up so much time.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 09:48:05 am »
It does seem strange that these modules are being shown as supported and then failing to run at specified speeds.

I don't know the answer and, when you get a response from Tech Support please let us know the outcome. It could be that there is a newer BIOS in the pipeline to resolve this issue, especially as the FX processors are capable of running RAM up to 1866MHz.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Steve66a

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 12:41:31 pm »
You get the "failure to boot......", the OS does not load, True? If the OS loads the message is just a warning. 1333 is the standard - I know the dial goes to 11 - BUT......... Try the memory at 8, if the OS loads, reboot - the message should go away

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 06:15:02 pm »
when I get the warning ,if I click on continue ,OS loads ok and behaves ,but et6 shows the memory at just 1333 anyway ,rebooting brings up the warning continually , if I go back into bios .its set manually at x8 "1600" ...WIERD.
Anyway ,Gigabyte asked me to check the ram was ok ,so a check on each module in slot 1(0) turned up no problems and for the sheer hell of it I ran the ramtest (std) with all 16gb installed and it still showed no errors ,after waiting forever.
I told gigabyte , and this is their reply :
Hi,

Gigabyte bios read the memory SPD value, according to the CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 specification the SPD programmed at 1333MHz. You can try to manually adjust the memory timing and we not guarantee the performance.

? anyone?
corsair claim these modules are ideal for overclocking and 1600 is clearly printed on the module .
so I will try one attempt at manually setting them if someone here with experience "Absic maybe" can spare the time to talk me through it in idiots style .
from the corsair site
Tested Voltage 1.5 .SPD Voltage 1.5 .Speed Rating PC3-12800 (1600MHz) .SPD Speed 1333Mhz .Tested Speed 1600Mhz .Tested Latency 9-9-9-24 .

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 06:18:49 pm by jabberwocky »

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 08:03:35 pm »
recap...being new to the idea of having to setup my memory in bios as opposed to being used to having it work "out of box".
I decided to troll through the bios and see what I have missed.
setting the memory clock to x8 clearly gave errors.
so looking below the memory clock adjustement was DRAM Configuration ,I went into that and saw it set to auto ,I assume that as the spd was set to 1333 by default, it must have been stopping the clock setting ,amazing that the two settings can conflict in this way with no mention of it in the manual ,but I guess you experienced overclockers are used to these settings ,anyway I did not alter anything ,just set it to manual , and Voila the x8 setting is now accepted and works ,pc boots faultlessly and shows up in ET6 as being 1600 at last .
I will give it a few days to make sure everything works fine and mark this as resolved (hopefully )
are there any good ram testing/benchmarking tools out there that can confirm what I am getting?
thanks all especially Absic.

Steve66a

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2011, 01:14:19 pm »
Should have mentioned there 2 different areas in the bios to set the memory.

Glad you got everything working.

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 02:05:24 am »
Hi,

Appologies for digging up an old post but...

I've just assembled a system with the GA-880GMA-USB3 (REV 3.1) and the FX 8120 CPU. I have the exact same issue as the OP: nothing on the monitor and no sound from the system speaker.

Absic suggested the OP flashed the BIOS to F3. As I mentioned, this is the REV 3.1 board. Is this the same thing? in otherwords, should the support already be built in or do I need to flash?

The CPU is supported: http://uk.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3817

Problem is, I don't have another AMD chip and I am going to be a little cross if I have to go out and buy another CPU just to upgrade the BIOS to support mine!!

I have tried all the usual tricks, removed everything that I can, including all memory, excluding system and cpu fans. No bleeps whatsoever.

Many thanks

W.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 07:47:07 am »
Hi there,

if you have tried everything else then it might be that the board has the F2 BIOS and this is what I would be looking at. Again the best advice is that you either try a CPU supported by the F2 BIOS to see if things then work or, if you do not have access to an appropriate CPU, take it to a local PC shop and ask them to check and flash the BIOS for you.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 01:21:44 pm »
Hi,

I purchased an AMD Athon II X2 CPU. It worked straight away. Sure enough, it was F2. I was able to update the BIOS.

I had contacted Gigabyte's support. Four days later they got back to me. They gave me an address (in the UK) to send it back to so they could flash it.

The guy I spoke to in the shop said this is typical AMD behaviour. Apparently Intel lets one update the BIOS without a CPU. I thought the BIOS chip belongs to the mobo, so surely this is Gigabyte's issue? In fact, trying to get ESXi 5.0 to install, I swapped back to the Athon CPU. The BIOS version remained at F3, so the mobo does hold the BIOS info.

I find it unbelievable that Gigabyte say they support a CPU, but ship the mobo in a condition that doesn't support it. If I hadn't gone out and purchased the second CPU, I'd still be waiting... Unacceptable!!! >:(

As a side note, FC4c (Beta) is missing loads of stuff for this mobo.

Many thanks