Official GIGABYTE Forum

P67A-UD4-B3 Cleared CMOS with power on

Rhys_G

P67A-UD4-B3 Cleared CMOS with power on
« on: March 03, 2012, 04:05:18 pm »

I accidentally cleared the CMOS on my board with the power still connected. Now when I power up the system it started for a fraction of a second and then shuts off (seems like a short, but can't find one anywhere). Does this problem mean that the board is likely fried due to the untimely CMOS clear?

Thanks,

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Re: P67A-UD4-B3 Cleared CMOS with power on
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 09:01:03 pm »
It's not ideal, but I've done it plenty of times so it shouldn't cause you any issues, it may have just corrupted the BIOS.

Try clearing the CMOS for an extended period, that should fix it.  Unplug the PSU from the board, or switch it off on the rear, then remove the motherboard CMOS battery.   Then press and hold the case/board power on button for one minute, then put a jumper on the Clear CMOS pins and let it sit overnight.  Then in the morning remove the jumper and put the battery back in, then turn on or connect the PSU and see if it starts.   If it does not, pull the CMOS battery and start the board without the battery and see if that works.

You may need to manually invoke the Dual BIOS recovery if you can't get it going, see the last section of post #2 here for the PSU trick to do this manually
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/27576-bios-flashing-how-qflash-guide.html