Official GIGABYTE Forum

Motherboard will not recognize graphics card(s)!

Motherboard will not recognize graphics card(s)!
« on: November 18, 2009, 05:00:36 am »
Hello everyone,

I have been a fan of this website for a long time for all my computing needs. Usually there is always a forum with the answer I need... however, this time I need to ask a question of my own.

I'm ready to pull my own hair out after two days of straight troubleshooting.

My problem is this: if I install my new XFX Radeon HD 4870 (or the ATI Radeon HD 4850 that I bought to test the problem) my screen does not turn on with any picture. I don't see the computer go through its POST/BIOS or anything. The monitor will say "Power save mode" sometimes, other times it will flash its little light like it is searching for a signal it can't quite grasp. The computer itself is still booting up though.... I can hear the little windows chime over my speakers after about 30 seconds (once it gets to the log in screen).

However, here is the strange part: if I plug in my PCI 1.0 GeForce 8600 my monitor will pick up a signal and the computer works fine. That being said, I have been sure to erase all the nVidia graphics drivers both from the add/remove programs and with "Driver Sweeper" to get all the loose ends before I attempt to put in the ATI cards.

I tested two different PSU's and neither of them did anything for either graphics card. I drove over two hours to my local Tiger Direct store to exchange the motherboard for a new one and that has not changed a thing. At the store, they tested the graphics card and said it was working fine.

My computer set up is as follows:

- Gigbyte GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard
- XFX Radeon HD 4870 (which I have not been able to use since nothing will show up on the monitor)... or the Radeon HD 4850 that I have also been testing with
- OCZ SLI 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
- XION Power Real 1000W ATX Power Supply
- Windows 7 Professional
- Hitachi 7K1000.B Hard Drive (1 tb)
- Megavision MV220 22in 5ms DVI Black LCD Monitor

I would be so grateful if anyone could provide any insight into this.

Again, the main jist of it is this:
With my Geforce 8600 (old card from previous computer) plugged in everything will work fine.
As soon as I plug in either the 4870 or 4850 nothing will show up on the monitor at all.
I have tested two different PSU's, neither have made a difference (and the 1000W is brand new).
I have exchange the motherboard out for a new identical one and it did not change anything.
I have removed all previous drivers every way I am aware of.
I have tried it with different RAM in different combination's and it did not change anything.

If ANYONE can help me with this, I would be so very happy.

Thank you for your time,

Ryder
(A very frustrated PC builder who just wants to play Left For Dead 2 already!)

Re: Motherboard will not recognize graphics card(s)!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 05:03:15 am »
I forgot to mention --- I updated to the latest BIOS.

Pottypete

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 09:49:37 am »
Hi,
Is win 7 pro, the 32bit or 64 bit edition?
Are the drivers you are trying to install 32bit or 64 bit edition?
Are any additional power sockets connected to the card?
Did you clear the cmos and reset to default?
Have you got PEG display first, set in bios?
Have you tried booting into safe mode?
Have you tried analog and dvi connections on the card and monitor?
Have you a Good vga cable?
My twopenneth!
Regards

R_N_B

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 09:50:37 am »
LOL pete I have had to edit my post now because I asked the same things.

Pottypete

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:52:22 am »
Gooday mate, touche
cheers

ETNiES

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 02:55:23 pm »
and you have checked and made sure your cards are 100% working on another pc yes?

It must be something in your BIOS.. Have you played around with the PCI-E settings?

Try disconnecting everything leaving 1 stick of ram the 4870 see if changes anything.. Odd problem your having.
If I had a hammer.. I'd hammer in morning.