Official GIGABYTE Forum

Poll

What is being done to address the bugs and deficiencies in EasyTune6 software?

We're fixing it.
0 (0%)
What? It works for us!
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Lots of bugs in EasyTune6

Lots of bugs in EasyTune6
« on: March 12, 2012, 09:07:03 am »
I responded to an earlier poster who was having problems with the EasyTune6 software but there's been no response for over a week. I'm starting a new thread.

Bottom line is that I want to use EasyTune6 to monitor temperature and fans and provide me with predictably reliable alarms. I believe it incapable currently and this concerns me. What is being done to address the following deficiencies?

EasyTune6 suffers from a number of annoying bugs in the alarm tab:

1. Use of the fan speed sliders is counter-intuitive to say the least. (that's what started this thread). It takes a bit of mucking around to figure out that the only purpose of the fan slider is to detect a slow fan speed. But the default position of the slider far exceeds the normal speed of say a CPU fan (i.e. the slider's default position is to the right of a normally operating fan RPM value leading the user to believe that the purpose of the slider is to dial in an RPM speed that if exceeded will sound the alarm. But it's exactly the opposite. Not sure what this is good for except to warn that the fan has failed. But you would get that with the temperature alarms. But wait...

2. The CPU and system temperature monitors seem to work exactly the opposite of the fan RPM monitors. That is they let the user dial in a temperature threshold that will sound the alarm if exceeded. Or at least that's what you would think. But these seem completely worthless as even if the temperature exceeds the threshold the alarm sound is not actuated.

3. Unsigned MSI installer. UAC reports "MFC GUI App" is trying to modify your system settings w/unknown publisher. Sign the binary. Sign the MSI. Fix the manifest.

4. The _actual_ process name for ET6 is "GUI.exe". Really? Why isn't it called ET6.exe so I can find it  easily in Task Manager.

5. Alarms come in handy on an overclocked system under stress. Too bad ET6 runs at normal process priority and is unable to sample, update the UI, or play alarm sounds when the system is heavily loaded. You can manually bump the process priority in Task Manager once you determine it's actually called GUI.exe but that's just unreasonable.

6. Why do I have to deal with UAC every boot? See previous point about fixing the application's manifest.

7. What version of ET6 is running? Who knows: The question mark brings up a splash screen with a 2010 copyright and no version number. Task manager indicates the application as "EasyTune6 Build 2011.08.23. Way too hard to find."

8. Moving the CPU temperature slider has a bug. Move the slider fast and the threshold goes to zero and stays there no matter where you put the slider.

9. There are frequent false alarms - the alarm will sound, I open EasyTune6 to determine the source of the problem only to discover that everything is operating normally.

I have had good experiences with Gibabyte hardware in the past but am concerned about the quality of the bundled EasyTune6 utility. To be clear I am not complaining about the tuning functionality which seems okay. However, I expect more from Gigabyte - if you provide a tuning utility then the associated monitoring functionality should be rock solid in order to protect my investment.

Thanks, Chris

Re: Lots of bugs in EasyTune6
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 11:00:45 am »
It's important to respond to customers who take the time to provide detailed feedback and bug reports.

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 01:04:21 pm »
Did you see my reply here for you, about Intel Drivers and Easytune?  Just asking in case you missed it
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,3888.msg66831.html#msg66831

Thank you for your detailed report and concern list above, but we are mainly end users like yourself helping here.  So for concerns and constructive criticisms like you've mentioned, you should forward those directly to Gigabyte via the link below, that way they can pass your info along to the software team for discussion.
http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/technical-support.aspx

PJay

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 01:19:58 am »
It can't overclock the iGPU too. I have to go to BIOS  :-\

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 04:16:20 am »
All overclocking should be done in the BIOS anyway!   Easytune should ideally only be used to monitor things, to check voltages applied, or to do short testing of various settings before actually applying in windows.

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 04:39:42 am »
Did you see my reply here for you, about Intel Drivers and Easytune?  Just asking in case you missed it
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,3888.msg66831.html#msg66831

Thank you for your detailed report and concern list above, but we are mainly end users like yourself helping here.  So for concerns and constructive criticisms like you've mentioned, you should forward those directly to Gigabyte via the link below, that way they can pass your info along to the software team for discussion.
http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/technical-support.aspx

@Lsdmeasp - nice screen name. And, thanks for the reply and link to responses in the other thread. I had thought that this forum was monitored by Gigabyte staff given the homepage title is the OFFICIAL Gigabyte Forum. But community works (actually often a lot better than corporate staff). So thanks!

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 07:08:23 am »

Yes, there is actual Gigabyte employees here, the Admin here is one I know for sure as he works at the UK gigabyte office.   But the main support comes from end users, unless one of the actual Gigabyte people see an issue or stop by to help when they see it's needed.

You can PM runn3r the Admin here, he's the only actual Gigabyte staffer I know here, and he'll pass along your thoughts to Gigabyte HQ in Taiwan too, if you haven't already via the link above.

PJay

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 03:22:50 am »
All overclocking should be done in the BIOS anyway!   Easytune should ideally only be used to monitor things, to check voltages applied, or to do short testing of various settings before actually applying in windows.

But it can overclock my dedicated Radeon HD 6570  ;D

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 11:26:44 am »
And the BIOS can't?  Ohh you mean actual PCIE card?  If so, then use MSI Afterburner, Catalyst Control Center, or some other graphics overclocking tool.

PJay

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 02:40:49 pm »
Yes, wonder why it can overclock my PCI-e but iGPU  :D
I can only overclock the iGPU through BIOS, not big problem since I see no reason to use ET6.
It just has better options for CPU cooling.

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 08:36:59 am »
What board do you have?   Doesn't it have speed controls in the BIOS?

If not, use speedfan, if you need help with that let me know!

PJay

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 07:43:31 pm »
H61M-USB3-B3 v2

It has but i have to go to BIOS everytime. Not major problem ;)

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 07:10:38 am »
Use speedfan then instead, that way you can set in windows or change in windows anytime!

Here's how to set Speedfan to work for your headers with speed control
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios-554.html#post415951