Official GIGABYTE Forum

Memory Configuration for GA P31 DS3L F8 BIOS

Memory Configuration for GA P31 DS3L F8 BIOS
« on: April 02, 2012, 04:17:17 pm »
Hi

I wish to upgrade the memory on my motherboard from the current 2GB to the maximum of 4GB.

On the QVL it gives the Micron part number of "MT8HTF12864AY-800E1" as a compatible 1GB chip for which I would need 4 (obviously) the Crucial equivalent being CT12864AA800.

Alternatively the QVL it gives the Micron part number of "MT16HTF25664AY-800E1" as a compatible 2GB chip for which I would need 2, the Crucial equivalent being CT25664AA800.

Would anyone be able to advise me if these options would in fact work in my board and which would be preferable. The 2x2GB route would be cheaper but would not operate in dual channel mode - according to the QVL.

I do realise that as I am running a 32bit OS the full amount of ram would not be usable, but I have a 64bit OS waiting to be installed

Kind Regards

Haruspex

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Re: Memory Configuration for GA P31 DS3L F8 BIOS
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:28:58 am »
You can use those 2x2GB and it will be dual channel, if you get single sided 2x2GB (Old 2.2V Crucial).  Those limitations only apply when using all four slots, or double sided memory.  2x2GB would be easier on the board too.  If you get 4GB, you will probably need to adjust MCH voltage to +0.2-0.3, just so you know before they arrive.

For reference if anyone is wondering
This system requires single-sided/single-ranked memory modules when all four sockets are populated. 1GB double-sided(dual-ranked) memory modules may be installed one per channel. For Dual Channel mode, use single-sided modules only.
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/motherboard_memory_ga-p31-ds3l_1.0.pdf

Nevermind what I said above, I just realized you which kits you were talking about, sorry!  Ya, you'd have to find old used 2x2 from Crucial, so that's not ideal.   Your probably best off with 4x1GB single sided
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:43:30 am by Lsdmeasap »

Re: Memory Configuration for GA P31 DS3L F8 BIOS
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 12:04:08 pm »
Many Thanks for the reply.

I did also email Crucial support and they advised me to ring in my order on their order line so that I would received single sided modules as they could not guarantee receiving single sided modules if ordering from their website.