Official GIGABYTE Forum

MA770-UB3 and Raid

MA770-UB3 and Raid
« on: November 06, 2009, 02:36:42 pm »
My system runs XP right now with 2 x 500GB sata disks. These are configured as separate drives right now, want to create a RAID-1 array and run Windows 7 on that.

1st step - in the BIOS; initial settings -
- 'Onboard SATA controller' is enabled
- 'Onchip SATA type' is IDE
- 'Onchip SATA port 4/5 type' is IDE

As per the manual, changed the onchip settings to 'SATA' and 'As SATA type', save and reboot

the system gives me the option to create the array - which I pass on, as I'm not yet ready to install new operating system. Manual says this is OK

The system would normally go through a number of DMI checks on screen, give option to boot from CD/DVD, and then boot into XP

Problem - the system does not give option to boot from DVD and does not boot XP, system restarts and goes through cycle again.

Questions -
1. is this normal? I have not installed the RAID driver in XP (I wasn't running RAID when I installed it)
2. nothing boots. Will the system boot if I put the Windows 7 install disk in? I have downloaded latest RAID driver for W7 and have that now on a USB stick.
3. Is there anything else I should be doing?

thanks

kangoo

Re: MA770-UB3 and Raid
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 09:43:53 am »
i would connect these 2 sata hdd's to SATA2_0 and SATA2_1 connectors, then set in bios as follows:
OnChip SATA Type: RAID

on boot up press CTRL + F to enter raid utility , create raid 1 (data from first hdd will be mirrored to the second one)

proceed with win 7 installation

BTW Do you have MA-770-US3 or -UD3?