Official GIGABYTE Forum

Freezing issues: Corsair + Kingston + GA-P67X-UD3-B3

Agrias

Freezing issues: Corsair + Kingston + GA-P67X-UD3-B3
« on: March 23, 2012, 05:12:38 pm »
Good afternoon everyone,

A friend of mine is having the following experience:

Recently bought a 2600k + i7 Gigabyte GA-P67X-UD3-B3 (updated to the latest version of the BIOS...F6 i guess) and the following memories: 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333 (CM3X2G1333C9) and 2x2GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 (9905403-151. A00LF). In other words, Four sticks of 2GB each, in total.

The problem is that the PC freezes, a 2~3 minutes after booting the Win7 x64. Then we started some tests, removing and re-placing the memories. And we obtained the following results:

1 - 2x + 1x Corsair Memory Kingston (in all possible combinations of slots. We tested both memories when using only one particular brand combination. In other words, first tried with one of Kingston and then tested with the other) = 6Gb of RAM and PC does not freeze;
2 - 2x + 1x Kingston Memory Corsair (in all possible combinations of slots. We tested both memories when using only one particular brand combination. In other words, first tried with one of the Corsair and then tested with the other) = 6Gb of RAM and PC does not freeze;
3 - 2x Kingston Memory (in all possible combinations of slots) = 4GB of RAM and PC does not freeze;
4 - 2x Corsair Memory (in all possible combinations of slots) = 4GB of RAM and PC does not freeze;
5 - 2 - 2x Corsair + 2x Kingston Memory (in all possible combinations of slots) = 8Gb of RAM and PC DOES FREEZE;

We were not able to leave a stable system using all the slots (the four memory banks). I discard slots defectives, because we have tried in all slots, with all the memories and the problem does not happen. And it seems there are no problems in memory. Did not try with just one memory ram stick because we have not seen the problem happen using two sticks. By using two or three sticks of memory, we saw that the problem does not occur while the dual channel enabled (in the case of using two sticks) or not (in the case where we use three sticks). I kind dismiss problems of incompatibility between memories because, as illustrated above, the problem does not occur when we use different memories (when using 6GB).

I wanted your help regarding this mystery. I think there might be a problem using dual channel memory with different brands.

Finally, I ask your help.

Thanks!

PS: Sorry my english. Blame google translator  ;D

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Re: Freezing issues: Corsair + Kingston + GA-P67X-UD3-B3
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 05:43:10 pm »
Mixing memory is never advised, and this is probably the main issue here.

But since you say it's OK with 6GB, it might be with 8GB with a little tweaking.   With all slots filled like that you may need to increase ram voltage a little bit, but more importantly you may need to increase QPI/Vtt (1.14-1.2) and System agent (1.0-1.14)

And since those are very different modules, you may need to manually set slow speed and loose timings, or if you run the 1333Mhz at 1600 you may need to raise the ram voltage more and or use much looser timings than C9.   Again, it's not advised that you mix this memory though, but with some hassles you can probably get it working.

The latest BIOS is also advised, which you can download here (F8).   Please flash using Qflash or DOS, and then load optimized defaults after the flash, then save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS.   Once in the BIOS again set the required settings you need for SATA to get into windows, then set your ram voltage and any other changes you wish to make, then save/apply/reboot again.
http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3815#bios

Then, for P67/Z68 it is advised that you make sure to update the backup BIOS to match the main BIOS each time you update the BIOS.  To do this follow this video guide, you may need to use PS/2 keyboard or USB to PS/2 adapter
http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.com/2011/02/video-guide-how-to-update-your-backup.html

Agrias

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 10:19:33 pm »
Thank you for replying.

Kingston sticks uses 1.65v. Corsair uses 1.5v. Which value should i use on them? 1.5v ou 1.65v? Is it safe?

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 06:29:37 pm »
If it was me I wouldn't mix these at all, those are too different.

If you must though, try 1.6 and see if it works.   If not, I'd just use the new 1.5 1600Mhz kit, and if you need 8GB buy a new 2x4GB set as those are very cheap right now

Agrias

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 05:32:37 pm »
Thank you for replying,

OK then. Maybe it's better do not try mix voltages etc...

Well, i guess this topic is solved. Moderators can close it.

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 07:03:11 pm »
You can try, it shouldn't damage the memory, you just might have a hard time getting them to work together is all.

Give it a shot though if you want, you might have good luck with it!