Standby and restart problems
« on: November 17, 2009, 02:22:17 pm »
Hi guys,

A few months ago I built my first PC ;D . Spec as follows:

CPU: Intel Q8400
Mobo: Gigabyte EP35
VGC: BFG 9500
O/S: XP SP3

My problem is this, 9/10 when I put the PC into standby mode I have to do a complete reboot when I return to the PC as I get 1 long beep followed by 2 short ones. I then have to press the reset button in order to get the correct one beep.  :( The same thing happens when I have to restart the computer after installing software and updates.

After I had finished the original build I also had problems with booting up, but solved this problem by shorting out the CMOS jumper pins and resetting the BIOS to load the optimized defaults.

I would be really grateful if someone can solve this problem.

Many thanks,

Raffa  8)

Pottypete

Re: Standby and restart problems
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 04:50:54 pm »
Hi,
those beeps sound like faulty gpu, 1 long 2 short.
Reseat the gpu,  also reseat the memory, its worth a shot.
Also when reseating items, blow their slots with some air just incase something is in their and causing that beeps.
If you have another video card, can you test that in the pc ? or do you have another pc that you can test the video card in ?
Thats it from me I am afraid, because usually 1 long 2 short beeps means soemthing to do with the video card and if you have already reseated it and inspected the card for damage and found nothing, then the card could just be dead unless you can find out for sure by testing in another rig.
Reseat the ram just incase and also check for anything else that maybe loose and not plugged in properly,
Other than that a setting in the bios/ video card are not set to wake up,
One of the more techie types maybe can help you,
regards

Ps Have a look here on microsoft support for standby/hibernation errors,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907477
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:27:10 pm by Pottypete »

Raffa

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 06:28:58 pm »
Hi Pottypete,

I will be looking into the BIOS as a possible cause. When I first built the PC I reseated the RAM -2x2GB- and graphics card on numerous occasions due to the above mentioned original booting up problem, but resetting the CMOS did the trick.

Will post back and let you know how I get on!

Many thanks for your input.

Torresmagnifico  ;D

ETNiES

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 02:58:35 pm »
Have you updated to the latest bios? Doesn't really sound like a graphics problem to me since it only happens when in sleep mode!
If I had a hammer.. I'd hammer in morning.