Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H61MA-D3V defualts to VGA on boot.

GA-H61MA-D3V defualts to VGA on boot.
« on: April 08, 2012, 02:52:13 am »

Hi all

I've just built a system using a GA-H61MA-D3V and have a small problem. Booting, or coming out of sleep, it doesn't seem to recognise the monitor, an Acer 24" LCD. I'm using the DVI port on the motherboard and a converter to the HDMI port on the monitor.

If I turn the monitor off and back on, it's OK again.

When I first built this, I used an old 19" CRT I had, running off the VGA port, and wonder if that has somehow made the motherboard use that port by default?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-H61MA-D3V defualts to VGA on boot.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 08:48:05 am »
Hi

It could be that the adapter is confusing the issue. Is there some way you could test it without the adapter and use a straight connection ?

If you consider it is due to the "memory" of the origianl; monitor you could clear the CMOS and then load the Optimised BIOS Defaults to start afresh. Follow these instructions:

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least one hour before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Re: GA-H61MA-D3V defualts to VGA on boot.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 05:49:04 pm »

I gave that a try just then, had some other stuff that needed doing first. It's a good idea, but on boot the machine still goes to its VGA port. I could get into its BIOS with lucky clicks of the Delete key and the monitor power switch, and there are some options for PEG display which I don't have, and allowing the IGP to sleep, but nothing that might help.

Then I noticed that my old Acer LCD has a VGA port on it, as well as an DVI. Aha! So, using a VGA cable it all works. And I still don't understand why the HDMI output rates as "second class". It may be, as suggested that the adapter was causing problems. Also, the monitor displays an overlay at each boot/awakeining saying it's 'auto adjusting' whatever that may mean. The VGA  signal seems a bit 'wobbly' at first, but it's only a 1080 signal, looks fine now.

I've got the latest F4 BIOS on the Giga board, and seen no other complaints similar to this, so I'll get another HDMI-DVI cable, see if there's anything I can change on the monitor and leave it at that. It's about time I got a 27" or 30" anyway...