Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-970A UD3 network problem

GA-970A UD3 network problem
« on: May 11, 2012, 07:47:13 am »
Hello (first post),

When my previous system died, I settled on Gigabyte.  So far it is a fine choice!

My system:

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
AMD FX-8150 eight-core CPU
Original 2007 BARAM heatsink, Scythe Kama Flow 2 variable-speed fan
16 Gigs Ram (2 pieces * 8 GB, 1600 MHz)
(G. Skill F3-1600C9D-16GXM, 9-9-9 timings)
Sapphire ATI 6670 video card, passive cooling
PCI SB Audigy 2 ZS Gamer sound card
Asus PCI-N15 wireless card (PCI-Express 16x1)
1.5 TB Western Digital SATA hard drive
LG SATA Lightscribe burner
OCZ Fatal1ty 550W PSU

Win 7 Professional 64-bit / Mandriva 2010.2 64-bit

At first, I had random lockups in linux, Windows was fine.  Somebody at G. Skill forums said "raise the memory voltage by .05V".  I did (from 1.51V to 1.56V), and now Linux runs great (hard to figure out sometimes, but hey, linux is free).

(Except for the memory voltage bump, everything is at stock settings.)

Now there is a new problem.  The internet (browsing and e-mail) will randomly stop working, and then resume working, with no rhyme or reason.  Again, Windows is fine.

(I am using the Linksys WRT-54GL with DD-WRT firmware.  But this should really not be a problem.)

Linux cannot use the PCI-Express card at this time (Realtek 3192 CE chip) so it is using the mobo's ethernet chip (Windows can use either/both). (A couple of months ago I ran ethernet cable inside the ductwork down to the Linksys in the basement.)

Any idea how I can fix this?  I don't see anything in the linux log files (/var/log/whatever).

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
Re: GA-970A UD3 network problem
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 02:56:49 pm »

(I am using the Linksys WRT-54GL with DD-WRT firmware.  But this should really not be a problem.)

This is exactly your problem.

I had that router and it only worked  properly with Tomato firmware ,with DD WRT i had exactly the symptoms you are describing.

It s either the number of concurent connections , which at this time , with the speeds we have now, it can t cope (internal weak CPU + small RAM amount).Additional tweaks can be made regarding timeouts though.

Or, keep in mind ,that the on-board is a Gigabit LAN and that the firmware in the router may contain a switch driver that doesn t negociates properly with the on-board you have now at 100 Duplex.

Set the speed at 10 Mb Duplex in the LAN card driver properties (via Device Manager) see what happens.

Additionally use an older LAN card to see what happens.

Anyway your router is outdated you should look for upgrading that network part too .
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 02:57:29 pm by Vezina »
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 06:30:05 am »
I put in a D-Link DI-524 (hardware revision E1) and the problem still exists.  No wired connection in linux, and no wireless connection in linux.

"Device Manager" is in Windows (and it works fine in Windows).  I don't know how to slow the motherboard's ethernet chip down in linux (where the problems are).

But the problem is worse than the networking.  I am still having random lockups and kernel panics in linux*.  This could be causing the networking problem, I don't know.

I have spent AT LEAST a dozen weekends on linux in the last year.  I used to run linux 99 percent of the time.  Now, it is about 1 percent.

I could install Mandriva 2011, or 2012.  But I am really tired of reinstalls.  I'll have to think about whether I want to continue in linux.

Thanks.

* I shot a picture of the kernel panic with my 6MP Canon camera.  Maybe I'll post it on Mandriva's forums.

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 10:14:59 am »
Keep in mind that Bulldozer is different and Linux may nit be able to use it properly yet.
Also the BIOS-es are not so mature even now for AM3+  CPU-s.

Linux is also under continuous "sabotage"  by motherboard manufacturers ,but Linux developers always find a way to overcome this issues manufacturer BIOS-es rise.

Random lock-ups may indicate CPU memory controller issues as well ,you should run some Memtest and make sure the RAM itself is healthy.Also defective HDD-s or broken HDD controllers will give the same.

Try swapping components and check if one of the swaps changes something.
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

Gavster

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 04:41:18 pm »

Now there is a new problem.  The internet (browsing and e-mail) will randomly stop working, and then resume working, with no rhyme or reason.  

If this is the problem, why do you think it could be a hardware, software or firmware problem that is stopping you from connection to the internet? If I am not mistaken, this appears to be problem with your internet connection, perhaps within your building or maybe caused by a problem further down the line (such as your local telephone exchange).

I could assume that you are connected to a large corporate network that supports lots of users who enjoy uninterupted internet connection (even when you don't), or.... your router is attached to an ADSL2+ telephone line or broadband brought to you by firbre optic/coaxial cable. If you are not connected to a large network (such as a Wide Area Network), then it is possible that the connection to your router may be subject to a noisy line and or periodic outages.

Give us a bit more information about how you connect to the internet.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 04:47:06 pm by Gavster »
Fractal Design Define
Ryzen 3700x 3.6GHz CPU
Aorus Elite x570 motherboard
Bios v.F20
Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G36C16U4B 3600 MHz, DDR4
Sapphire Nitro 5700 XT 8GB GDDR5 PCIE graphics card
Xigmatek 700W NRP-PC70 power suupp