Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte X58-UD3R + i7 970 no POST after upgrade

Trajan

Gigabyte X58-UD3R + i7 970 no POST after upgrade
« on: April 26, 2012, 06:39:00 pm »
Hi,

A few days ago i sold my i7 920 and bought an i7 970 but forgot to update the BIOS. My board is a Gigabyte X58-UD3R. Now the computer is unable to post. No beeps, no signal received by the monitor. Tried everything: reseating ram's, vga, post with and without vga and/or ram, clear CMOS, both jumper and battery and also forcing it by pressing the insert key. Every other component is fine. Only the CPU is new.

Is this the sign of a much needed BIOS update? Problem is i don't know anyone with an i7 920 to test it. Only if i go to a computer repair store and hope they have one... What do you think?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Gigabyte X58-UD3R + i7 970 no POST after upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 09:08:43 pm »
Hi there,

It could just be a BIOS issue and as you say, you are pretty well stuffed unless you can find someone with a compatible CPU to allow you to update the BIOS. This is, of course, assuming your motherboard is the Rev1.0 version. http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3305

If it is the Rev 2.0 version then it would probably be down to something else as the FF BIOS for this board already supports both processors.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Trajan

Re: Gigabyte X58-UD3R + i7 970 no POST after upgrade
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:35:02 pm »
Hey absic,

It's a rev 1.0. I recall it having the F1 BIOS version but i'm not 100% certain. And i completely forgot to update the BIOS prior to selling the 920 chip. I thought the worst thing that could happen was the BIOS not recognizing the cpu and showing something like "unknown cpu" on POST and it would be just a matter of putting the BIOS update on a usb pen and go from there.

Anyway, I already managed to find someone that will test it with his i7 920 this saturday. I'll keep this thread alive and get back with news in case it's usefull for someone else. Thanks!