Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R

GA-X58A-UD3R
« on: July 03, 2012, 05:31:16 pm »
Hi...

Am really hoping someone can provide me with some simple answers here, as I've tried contacting Gigabyte directly and received and unintelligablere sponse (well, at least to English people anyway...)

I've got a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R rev 1.0 Motherboard and an Intel Core i7 980 CPU, with 3 1TB HD's in a RAID-5 configuration which is bootable with Windows 7 x64 installed.  Now, I bought myself a RevoDrive3 X2 240GB SSD which goes into a PCI-E slot and wanted to install Windows 7 on this device and use the RAID-5 array as data storage.

Anyway, I put my RevoDrive in and got a BIOS message that said... Warning: Have option ROM can not be invoke (Vendor ID: 1B85h, Device ID: 1041h)

So, I naturally concluded it was a BIOS issue and decided to update my BIOS to F8A which is the latest BIOS available for my MOBO (although it's a beta) to see if that would fix the issue.  It didn't.

Okay, so it's obviously the MOBO not having enough option rom space to initialise the RevoDrive and discovered that it will initialise if I either disconnect all the drives physically (leaving just the CDROM attached to the ICH10 controller) or setting the ICH10 controller to AHCI rather than RAID.  But, I can't set the controller to AHCI and still access my RAID array...  So decided to go to OCZ website and apparently there is a compatibility list for their hardware and actually my motherboard is on it, but rev 2.0, not rev 1.0.

So what are my options here?  I could change the motherboard, which I'm quite willing to do, but X58 chipsets are getting quite rare now and about the only ones I can get are:-

Gigabyte GA-X58-G1-SNIPER X58 Socket 1366
Gigabyte GA-X58A-OC X58 Socket 1366

And that's about it...  Neither of them are on the OCZ compatibilty list and would rather have a Gigabyte motherboard, but what are my chances of getting one of these motherboards to work?  How do I get details about how much OROM space they have?

Or has anyone got any other ideas about what I can do...?  The reply I got from Gigabyte was to turn all the other RAID controllers off, except for the ICH10, but come on, do you think I wouldn't have already tried this?!?  I've even tried turning onboard audio off and anything else I can find to disable to try and make enough space for the OROM to initialise.  Even tried changing what PCI-E slot the Revo was in to see if that would help, but it didn't.

I'm really at a loss here...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 05:41:50 pm by The Welder »

Graceman

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 02:51:13 pm »
I have same board but use ide and single separate sata drives, I cannort get the system to boot in ACHI, I do not use raid.
I have FVB bios which was designed to prevent the electrical noises but I am informed by Gigabyte tech that this fix is not included in the Bios's published since this fix.

As I have placed an order for same OCZ Pcie solid state drive as yourself am very interested as to what is happening.(Will try and cancel until I see the result)

Does your board work without electrical noises ok with the F8a bios which is what I was going to use until I had the email from Gigabyte tech?

Have you tried to run without any sata drives connected? (This is my plan as 240Gb is adequate for me)
Antec NSK4000B II Midi Tower Case
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 rv 1.0
I7/3770K
16Gb Csair Vengance Ram
Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK PSU  CX430V2  
OCZ RVD3-FHPX4-240G 240GB RevoDrive3 PCI-E SSD

Alcool DC-LT 12v Ceramic Pump
Alcool Rvoir for DC-LT Pump
Alcool DC-LT Pump Top
EK Supremacy CSQ Univ Full