Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 won't start (infinite reboot loop)

bbb

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 won't start (infinite reboot loop)
« on: May 12, 2012, 03:27:28 pm »
Hello,

I've just bought a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 rev. 1.3 and an i7 3770k. I also have some Corsair Vengeance RAM. I don't have a video card since the Ivy Bridge CPUs have all I need. So, I've mounted my system... but it's stuck in an infinite reboot loop.
Only the CPU, CPU cooler, and RAM are mounted on the mobo, which is even out of my case. A screen is plugged to the DVI port as well as a keyboard. When I power up the system the CPU cooler fan start, the LEDs next to the RAM slots power up... and then it reboots after a few seconds.
Once in a while the system remains up a bit longer and the welcome screen appears on my monitor (logo+list of shortcuts at the bottom, del for BIOS, end to flash, etc.). But I can't select any of these items since pressing any key has no effect (I've tried with an USB and a PS2 keyboard, same thing). 10 seconds later the system reboots anyway. And so on...

I don't have a speaker so I can't tell you how it bips. Well, I've tried to do something with an old speaker of mine and I think there's only one classical bip, but that might be wrong.
I've tried to remove the RAM and it's the same.
I've tried with two power supplies and it's the same.

Maybe I've been given an old mobo without the BIOS update for Ivy Bridge (how to check?). But in that case how can I flash it since I have no access to the BIOS?

Please let me know if you have any clue or suggestion!

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 03:28:08 pm by bbb »

Re: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 won't start (infinite reboot loop)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 10:21:24 am »
 your  gigaboom  motherboard  may need upgrade bios.  check capacitors if there is any swollen or leak

bbb

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 10:30:35 am »
but is there a way to update the bios when the bios doesn't even start..?

the capacitors seem okay, for what it's worth.

I guess I'll just return it and buy an Asus instead ;)

Fatman

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 11:09:53 am »
Try with just one stick of ram in and see if you can get to bios. Then set to optimized default then reboot. If you can.

bbb

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 02:12:22 pm »
it's not working even with a single stick of ram, in any slot.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 02:30:27 pm »
Hi there,

the problem could be as you suggested in your 1st post and the BIOS doesn't support the CPU. Sadly the only way to flash the BIOS is to have a supported CPU. If you don't have access to one do you have a local PC store that would be able to update the BIOS for you? This is often the quickest and easiest method but there will probably be a charge for them doing so.

For supported CPU's check here: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3973 you will need a CPU that will run with the F4 BIOS which is probably the version the board shipped with.

If you do not have access to a supported CPU or a shop that can update the BIOS for you, then contact Gigabyte Tech Support click here: http://ggts.gigabyte.com/tech.asp?ClassID=2&Country=France&SourceWeb=B2C to arrange an RMA so they can flash the BIOS for you.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.