Official GIGABYTE Forum

Compatible cpus for GA-MA770-DS3

Re: Compatible cpus for GA-MA770-DS3
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 12:10:18 pm »
So why are people running a AM3 cpu with v1.0 of this mobo?

The only limitation these people talk about is the memory runs at 800MHz.

Which is what my sticks run at any way.

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 03:23:47 pm »
So why are people running a AM3 cpu with v1.0 of this mobo?
(...)

Probably they just don't pay attention or maybe they like to take a risk ;) as this MB has hardware limitation in CPU VRM design
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 02:20:59 am »
hello

I also have a rev 1.0 GA-MA-770-ds3 

I bought it about February of 2008, with full knowledge according to all documentation at the time, that it would be fully forward compatible with AM3 CPU's.  I had planned on upgrading to a quad core this year, so I checked out the CPU Compatibility list.  There are a number of first generation power hog heat monster Phenoms on the list, but lo and behold all of the Phenom II x-4's say NA.

Looks like I have to purchase a whole new Motherboard and CPU to get a modern Quad Core.
Well OK ouch, but let's check it out.  Doing some more researchIi find that, since I have the OEM version of Vista 64, I cannot change mothereboards
as this is a condition of the OEM license.

So, in order to get a new new quad core CPU,Ii have to buy a new OS, a new Motherboard and a new CPU.  That is  $275 that I shouldn't have to spend.

Feeling a little put out by bad advertising.

According to your CPU list it won't support the AM2+ version of the 900 series Phenom II's either.

not much recourse here other tough nuggies I guess.

Is the same thing going to happen if I purchase the 785 or 790 version of this board?

Pottypete

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 09:15:38 am »
Hi,
But surely that is a Microsoft licence issue of the O/S you are using, Not the motherboard manufacturer!
Have you contacted Microsoft to explain the situation,
I had no problem when I changed my oem xp motherboard. a quick phone call to activate and away we go,
cheers
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:17:31 am by Pottypete »

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 08:19:56 pm »
I understand that it an issue with the Microsoft, and yes Microsoft said no, since Vista, all OEM distributions are licensed to the motherboard, if it were XP it'd be fine.

I am not mad, just disappointed that the promised AM3 upgrade is not to be. That was the reason I chose the motherboard, it is all over the box, and the manual.

I see it as false advertising.

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 01:26:35 am »
ok I am over the AM3 incompatibility, why is it not compatible with higher end AM2+ cpu's  ?  :)

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 11:35:56 pm »
I also have the GA-MA770-DS3 revision 1, and I would love to know exactly why my motherboard can't support AM3. I would only be upgrading to a Phenom II 720 (95 watts) from a Phenom 9500 (95 watts). The only difference I can spot between the Rev 2 and Rev 1 are the SB, 600 on rev 1 vs 700 on rev 2 and the power phase design. Why would either of there things matter, as the wattage is staying the same and the SB600 is supports am3 in other Gigabyte boards (ex: http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2690). So why exactly can't my motherboard support a AM3 cpu?

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 11:49:48 pm »
I also have the GA-MA770-DS3 revision 1, and I would love to know exactly why my motherboard can't support AM3. I would only be upgrading to a Phenom II 720 (95 watts) from a Phenom 9500 (95 watts). The only difference I can spot between the Rev 2 and Rev 1 are the SB, 600 on rev 1 vs 700 on rev 2 and the power phase design. Why would either of there things matter, as the wattage is staying the same and the SB600 is supports am3 in other Gigabyte boards (ex: http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2690). So why exactly can't my motherboard support a AM3 cpu?

This is something I'd like to know as well. I've just contacted Gigabyte twice and they are not keen to actually give any details just the same old line "hardware limitation". I just want to know know what that is.

I'm actually running  a Phenom IIx4 940BE OC @ 3.5Ghz and with 4G 1066Mhz RAM on the F8F bios and its solid as, but in saying that I've installed a Thermolab BARAM with 2 120mm fan and also mosfet heatsinks just to keep the temps in check.

I always thought the incompatibility issue was a 125W CPU on a 95W  Mobo but i actually see that this board supports 125W CPU's. So whats the go Gigabyte. I just want to know the actual details why a 940BE is not officially supported? and please don't just give us the throw away line "hardware limitation"        
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 11:51:02 pm by JimmyFly »

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 10:09:32 am »
I suspect it's a marketing issue.
They want us to go and buy a new board.

Other forums in America and sellers on eBay tell me my DS3 Mobo can support AM3 with the latest BIOS.

It's just that GigaByte UK are not telling us.

Gee guys, what a way to maintain trust with your customers.

Beekeeper

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 12:24:37 pm »
hello

I also have a rev 1.0 GA-MA-770-ds3

I bought it about February of 2008, with full knowledge according to all documentation at the time, that it would be fully forward compatible with AM3 CPU's.  I had planned on upgrading to a quad core this year, so I checked out the CPU Compatibility list.  There are a number of first generation power hog heat monster Phenoms on the list, but lo and behold all of the Phenom II x-4's say NA.

Looks like I have to purchase a whole new Motherboard and CPU to get a modern Quad Core.
Well OK ouch, but let's check it out.  Doing some more researchIi find that, since I have the OEM version of Vista 64, I cannot change mothereboards
as this is a condition of the OEM license.

So, in order to get a new new quad core CPU,Ii have to buy a new OS, a new Motherboard and a new CPU.  That is  $275 that I shouldn't have to spend.

Feeling a little put out by bad advertising.

According to your CPU list it won't support the AM2+ version of the 900 series Phenom II's either.

not much recourse here other tough nuggies I guess.

Is the same thing going to happen if I purchase the 785 or 790 version of this board?

how much did you save when buying OEM Vista, not retail one? ;)

there is no "785 or 790 version of this board", just different mobos based on different chipsets, check their website accordingly for cpu support

p.s. no vendor can guarantee that the mobo will be compatible with all future cpu's

But surely that is a Microsoft licence issue of the O/S you are using, Not the motherboard manufacturer!

agree!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:53:29 pm by Beekeeper »
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

Beekeeper

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 12:31:52 pm »
I suspect it's a marketing issue.
They want us to go and buy a new board.

of course every company wants you to go and buy new mobo, CPU, RAM, HDD, car, TV, ANYTHING !!!  ;D
don't you know it? :P
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 01:08:22 pm by Beekeeper »
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”