Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Bios Freezing

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Bios Freezing
« on: May 15, 2012, 11:41:45 pm »
Hi

I have problems with bios freezes when I raise the Vcore.

First start of the OS runs smoothly, but if I restart the computer and go into the bios it freezes and I can not do anything. And when I try to boot the OS it freezes at Gigabyte's logo is, and nothing happens! And I have to clear cmos for it to work again.

I have the latest version of F9 bios

Everything works fine until I change Vcore.

Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong?
Or is it just waiting for new bios?

smashly

Re: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Bios Freezing
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 01:25:17 pm »
Hi,
Are you using the latest bios for your board?
When your adjusting the Vcore are you also bumping up the clock multiplier?

I had similar problem for my GA-Z77MX-D3H and 3570K.
Bumped the cpu multi from 34 upto 44 and had Vcore on Auto and everthing worked fine.
Ran prime95 for a few hours to see how the temps were holding and they were a little high for my liking 78c on the hottest core.
CPUZ showed the Vcore as 1.272v while running prime95 .
When looking in the bios it shows the Vcore as 1.165 when set on Auto.
So I thought I might try setting the Vcore manually to try and drop the temps a little when under heavy load.
So I set 1.220v for the Vcore, saved and loaded up Windows no prob.
Fired up Prime95 and BSOD in about 7 mins.
So I load into bios and yep frozen bios once there..
Reboot and windows loads fine as long as you didn't max load the cpu for to long.
But no mater what i could not get back into the bios again without it locking up.
Reset Cmos and start again...

So from what I could see while in the bios the CPU clocks run at max speed and they don't throttle down at all.
This is why once you set a bad Vcore value you can't even get back in the bios to correct it unless you reset the cmos, yet I can boot windows fine.

I would have been happy if I could for example hold down Insert key on boot and it defaults the bios settings like some of my older mobos.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 01:38:30 pm by smashly »