Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-EX58-UD5 POST errors

Weeksy

GA-EX58-UD5 POST errors
« on: November 26, 2009, 11:59:02 am »
Hi Everyone,

I've recently had problems with my EX58-UD5 based system (specs below). On switching on the other morning I received the following message "Main BIOS check sum error" and then something along the lines of "Attempting auto-recovery........"

After a couple of seconds the computer powered off and then restarted, but it no longer passes POST. All the fans and lights come on but it hangs most commonly on 7A "Detect and install maths co-processor". I've tried the following;

Removed power supply and reset CMOS by using the jumpers and leaving for approx. 1 hour
Checked power supply by using another PSU
Checked graphics card by installing another one
Disconnected hard drives, optical drives and all other extras, and tried booting with just the CPU, Cooler, RAM and graphics card
Tried booting with various combinations of RAM sticks (one stick in the various slots, then trying again with another stick etc)
Checked seating of CPU and heat sink

I've run out of ideas at the moment and wondered if anyone had any suggestions of what to try next?

Cheers

Steve

Specs;  GA-EX58-UD5 - Intel I7 920 -  OCZ 6GB DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Gold (3x2GB) Triple Channel DDR3 - BFG GeForce GTX 260 OC2 MAXCORE 896MB GDDR3 - Samsung SH-S202N/BEBN 20x DVD±RW IDE - Western Digital Caviar Blue 160GB SATA-II - Corsair HX850 PSU - Windows Vista 64bit

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
Re: GA-EX58-UD5 POST errors
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 01:33:34 pm »
Are you able to get into the BIOS or Qflash? If the main BIOS has become corrupted you could try updating to the latest BIOS revision
There's no place like ::1

Weeksy

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 04:17:04 pm »
Hi Oggmonster

Thanks for the suggestion. I couldn't get Qflash to work during POST (pressing <end> key), but after about 15 resets the machine posted, so I could get into BIOS and F8 for Qflash.

I've updated to the f9e BIOS which went smoothly, but upon reboot the machine again hung in POST, mainly giving C1 errors and the occasional 7A. As before I continued to reset until it eventually decided to play ball. I entered BIOS and loaded the optimised defaults. Upon rebooting it powered on for a second and turned off for 2 seconds and then back on again, where I was again stuck in a cycle of POST error hangs, reset button etc until it eventually booted. This time I let it boot to the OS which went smoothly.

I then checked the BIOS settings where everything looked ok apart from the memory timings which where showing 7,7,7,16 at 1.5V. I reset them to the correct value of 9,9,9,20 at 1.64V (should be 1.65 but the BIOS doesn't give you that option). Upon saving and rebooting the machine did the double reboot and cycle of POST errors until it eventually booted. The changes to the BIOS hadn't been updated and had reverted to the original settings.

At the moment it will boot on about the 7-10th reset which is annoying, but an improvement on this morning!

Thanks for your help,

Steve

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 04:26:58 pm »
As you're getting 2 different error codes and the fact you've tried varioud things.. I would be tempted to say it could possibly be your motherboard. Not sure if anyone else has got any bright ideas, but I would open up a support request to see what they say http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/ServiceCenter.aspx
There's no place like ::1

Weeksy

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 05:03:43 pm »
I sent a support request at the start of the week, so I'll see what they have to say.

Thanks for your help,

Steve