Official GIGABYTE Forum

P55-US3L and SSDs: possible?

forumjoe

P55-US3L and SSDs: possible?
« on: June 08, 2012, 04:33:57 pm »
Is it possible to successfully swap a 1TB conventional SATA hard drive on a P55-US3L with a couple of solid-state drives - say, a 256GB and a 512GB SSD? Obviously, some loss of capacity would have to be accepted, to keep the cost within reasonable bounds, as SSDs are far from cheap at present.

I've done some background research elsewhere on the Web on the general swapping of conventional drives for SSDs and the message that I'm getting is that it's not possible to use any partition image made on a conventional drive to restore that partition on to an SSD. Installing the operating system and my apps from scratch instead would be a nightmarish task. Apparently, doing a swap of this sort would be impossible because of  'data alignment' differences between a conventional drive and an SSD drive.

Would my P55-US3L and its driver recognise the SSDs in the first place? BTW, none of the drives would be used in RAID mode, and all partitions, as now, would be NTFS and would use the default block size.

Anyone got any experience with SSDs?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: P55-US3L and SSDs: possible?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 09:47:16 am »
Hi forumjoe

I don't pretend to be an expert on SSDs but I do run some and have built up a fair understanding of them. From my knowledge I would say that what you want to do is neither possible nor something that would be a good idea because you obviously have a lot of data and programs that you couldn't afford to lose. Obviously you keep this backed up but if in a worst case scenario and your backup were unavailable and drives failed there is no way to pull the data from the drive bit by bit as would be possible on the old magnetic drives.

I can't see any problem with your motherboard actually being compatible with the SSDs but it would be a good idea to go onto the forum for your imaging software and see if they can offer any advice regarding the possibility of doing what you are hoping.

As you said the two types use different methods to handle the data and so I am fairly sure that there would be no way to swap from one to the other short of a fresh install.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:47:57 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

forumjoe

Re: P55-US3L and SSDs: possible?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 02:15:08 pm »
Thanks for your views on this, DM. Much appreciated.

I've in the meantime been seeking further insight into this aspect of using SSDs on a forum dedicated to the ins-and-outs of the imaging software called Ghost. I use an early version of Ghost at present. It's simple and it works.

I'm not sure if I've got this the right way around but the thing I've gathered about SSDs is that they differ from conventional HDDs in that SSDs require 2048 sector alignment, whereas conventional HDDs use cylinder alignment. Apparently, WinXP assumes cylinder alignment, as do legacy imaging utilities, and if you try to mix the two, as it were, you end up with a very poorly-performing SSD (speedwise).

Judging by some responses from that forum, though, there are one or two partitioning pieces of software around now which can deal with this problem. One of them is available online free. It's called GParted, and appears to be some sort of open-source software. I've yet to fathom, though, whether using that I'd still be able to use my Ghost imaging utility and could continue using my external conventional drives on which I keep my partition images. I rather doubt it.

The brand of SSD I've had in mind has been Crucial. Prices of their SSDs are certainly coming down gradually, even in their m4 series. On their website there are some useful guides in the form of videos and one of them explains that you can purchase a 'transfer kit' from them to initially copy partitions from your existing conventional HDD to the SSD(s). This kit comprises both software on a CD and a special hardware module that you temporarily plug into a USB port. But the video doesn't say whether this solves any alignment problem. I think I'll need to probe Crucial for some detailed answers on this.

More generally, there seems to be no compatibility issue in using any of Crucial's latest SSDs with a Gigabyte P55-US3L motherboard. Although optimised for SATA3 connectivity, these m4 SSDs will work fine on any of the US3L's SATA2 ports.

I concur with your cautious viewpoint, DM, but it seems to me that SSDs are the way forward in drive technology and that ultimately that's where we'll all end up. SSDs have some very desirable features, let's face it. In making the transition, I'm pretty sure that 90% of us won't want to install our operating system and all our apps from scratch, so the use of some sort of imaging software will need to come into it somewhere. But for me the big question-mark over SSDs at present is this issue of data alignment and of trying to make a conventional drive work together with an SSD, if only on a very temporary basis. There's also a niggling doubt as to whether any modified motherboard drivers would be required. In your dealings with SSDs, DM, did you find the need for any new drivers?

Postscript: I've been back to the Ghost forum. The guru there on this matter has reassured me that I will be able to continue using both the Ghost utility and the external conventional drive. From what he says, the alignment problem essentially affects only the SSD(s). Once the SSD(s) has been realigned, there should be then no issues. He's even explained the procedure for using GParted to do this for my particular scenario. It involves putting a particular version of GParted on to a bootable CD. Once the SSD has been re-aligned, you can apparently do everything you did before with your drives with gay abandon! He reckons that the Crucial kit is only necessary if you want to initially create the new unpopulated partitions in the one transfer operation. His method instead creates the partitions separately and speeds up the entire process.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 02:53:53 pm by forumjoe »