Official GIGABYTE Forum

Does the GA-Z77M-D3H LGA1155 have a 1.4a HDMI connector?

jo3yp

Does the GA-Z77M-D3H LGA1155 have a 1.4a HDMI connector?
« on: June 28, 2012, 04:59:21 am »
I'm looking to use the GA-Z77M-D3H LGA1155 motherboard in a HTPC build, but need to know if the HDMI connector is 1.4a as it's requried for 3D Bluray play back through my TV.

Can anyone help? I've searched the net and checked the manual but it just states "HDMI" without any more details.

Cheers,

Charlie

ysw521

Re: Does the GA-Z77M-D3H LGA1155 have a 1.4a HDMI connector?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 03:45:21 am »
HDMI port on Z77M-D3H is 1.4a. it supports 3D Bouray. however, your source and player also need to support it. if you using Cyberlink, you may need to select correct 3D bluray opton for it.

jo3yp

Re: Does the GA-Z77M-D3H LGA1155 have a 1.4a HDMI connector?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 08:05:46 am »
Thanks for the reply ysw521.

I e-mailed giga-byte with the question and received the following response:

Quote from: Gigabyte Technical Support
Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you mentioned, after checking with related department, the HDMI port of GA-Z77M-D3H (rev. 1.0) is 1.4. Thank you!

If you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Regards,
GIGABYTE

I've been doing a little more digging and it appears as though 1.4a isn't required for all 3D TVs/displays, just the older models:

There's a very good explanation here on the PS3 forum if anyone is interested

Quote from: PS3 Forums
HDMI 1.4 requires 3-D resolution support: 1080P@24Hz and 720P@60Hz  other modes and frame packing methods may be supported but are not required.  The HDMI 1.4a addendum adds required support for 2 more 3-D framepacking modes (1/2 resolution) for set top boxes and also lists all older 3-D ready display techniques. 

HDMI 1.4 and 1.4a when used together provide handshaking routines to support ALL existing 3-D ready displays. Updates to firmware for the 3-D ready TVs may be possible so that they automatically handshake with a 1.4 source to negotiate a common display format (if supported). (Some of the 3-D ready displays do not support framepacking and from statements by Sony employees, display agnostic was a feature stressed which means SONY will not support those.)

The PS3 appears to have an automatic-manual setting (picture leaked) for this 3-D HDMI 1.4 negotiation with Manual requiring the PS3 to be set to a 3-D output mode like DLP checkerboard for a non-upgraded firmware DLP 3-D ready HDMI 1.3 TV.  (Sony may support DLP checkerboard, Panasonic and Samsung blu-ray players do.)

My Samsung TV autodetects the 3D signal from the PS3 which is 1.4 so even if the motherboard is just 1.4, it should still work.

What 3D Bluray software player do you use?