Official GIGABYTE Forum

Bad disk performance on X79-UD3

Bad disk performance on X79-UD3
« on: June 27, 2012, 12:17:29 pm »
Just built a new machine with the following components, and I'm getting really not very good results with the PCIe SSD drive (also with a Crucial M4 drive):

X79-UD3 mobo
Gigabyte GTX560 (in slot PCIEX16_1)
OCZ RevoDrive 3 x2 (240GB) (in slot PCIEX16_2) - boot drive
i7-3820 CPU
2x8GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 RAM
256GB Crucial M4 drive - test drive

Now I installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and installed all of the drivers from the Gigabyte driver download site (under Windows 7 x64), starting with the Intel chipset drivers and ending with the doddly USB3 etc.
I also updated the firmware on the RevoDrive, applied all the fixes, and also chcked "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing" on the RevoDrive properties.

After doing benchmarks on both the RevoDrive and the M4, they are really nowhere near what they should be (based on other results posted online), and I was wondering what might affect this in terms of the mobo itself. I'm not immediately assuming it's the mobo, but comparative bechmarks with the M4 on another system suggest it can go faster (yet to test the RevoDrive in the other rig).

Interestiongly, the RevoDrive benches tend to max out at or just beyond 1000MBps, which I understand would be the bus limit on a 4x PCIe slot (albeit a version 1.0 bus?). As this is in a x16 I can't see that, but it'#s interesting that 1000MBps is the limit.

Any advice gratefully received. Really difficult troubleshooting this kind of thing, and I've not done a self-build for a while!
(Some perf results attached)