Official GIGABYTE Forum

Ga-Z77X-UD5H windows load issues and other problems

Ga-Z77X-UD5H windows load issues and other problems
« on: July 07, 2012, 02:36:31 pm »
I have a GA-Z77X-UD5H, Intel 3570k, 16 gb G.Skill memory (Gigabyte qualified). All other parts are from my  existing AMD 990FXA-UD5 build ( hard drive with win 7 64bit, PS, EVGA GTX 550ti.) I am just swapping out the board and CPU.

This is the 3rd motherboard and 2nd CPU that I have used to try to get this system to work.

The 1st 2 boards (very close serial no.) with BIOS F6 and upgraded to F8 would not boot at all (boot loop) with any memory combination other than 1 module.  And were RMA’d.

The 3rd board was an earlier SN that came with BIOS F5 and upgraded to F8. This board will boot fine with all memory modules to BIOS and all looks good.

The issue is with all boards (1st 2 with only 1 memory stick) Will not load windows. I get the “repair your windows” screen.  Load windows normally will not work.  I have a repair disk I made with this version and used that and it indicated it was finding and repairing the windows.  At the end it states that windows could not be repaired, and I am back to square 1.

I remove the new board / CPU and replace with my older 990FXA and all loads and runs properly after I “load windows normally”.
I really like the features of this board and want it to work.  I also am building my first Intel system as I think AMD is bogged down with the bulldozer chips. (my first was an AMD "turbo xt")

Thanks for any insight you have.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Ga-Z77X-UD5H windows load issues and other problems
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 02:42:29 pm »
Have you tried a clean install of the Windows operating system?

Trying to swap an existing HDD with Windows installed on it from another system, especially from a different platform, is unlikely to be anything other than very problematic.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 02:55:18 pm »
Thanks,
Have been trying to avoid a clean install of Win. I have swapped HD 4 or 5 times on motherboard upgrades with no issues, all though all were AMD builds.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 03:02:22 pm »
Yes, I know what you are saying but switching from AMD to Intel or vice versa really requires a clean install of the OS as the required base drivers are completely different.

Also, although I'm not totally sure on this, I think Microsoft have added features to Windows to try and prevent piracy which makes this kind of thing happen. Even if you change a couple of components on a system you have to go through reactivation of Windows and as I change hardware a lot I have to do this quite often.  :'(

Save yourself any further headaches and bit the bullet and do a clean install. If you have a spare HDD use that, as you can then always revert to your AMD system if there is an issue with the new motherboard.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 05:17:48 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I've done many motherboard upgrades but never cross platform.
To ease this new install situation, existing program licences etc. , can a program such as pcmover be used to move programs and files from existing hard drive to a new win install hard drive within the same system?  I have Acronis, but I think that will only clone drives, putting me in the same position I'm in now?
Thanks again

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 06:03:21 pm »
Personally I have never used software such as PCMover so I can't say if they are any good or not.

If you only have the one HDD then I would use Acronis or the Windows 7 image maker to image your drive so that you have a backup of your existing system, then at least you have some sort of safety net if needed to get back to where you are now.

Depending on the software you are running there maybe a few programmes that you need to deactivate prior to reinstalling on a new system. These may include any Adobe software you are running, I-Tunes, Alcohol 120 etc so check carefully before switching platforms.

Personally, I do a complete re-install of the OS and my  programmes and then reactivate my software as needed to avoid any issues. A lot of people try to install all of their software in one go but I have found this time consuming and unnecessary. Install the OS and the basic things you need to get you going then re-install your programmes as you need them and reactivate as you go along. I find this a less stressful way to deal with things and it is worth remembering that you probably didn't install all of your software in one go, when you first got your original PC.

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 09:40:53 pm »
Well I guess I'll bite the bullet. I have another box that I can set up the new board in and see how it goes.  I have PCmover and will try that (not with my original drive. I'll try to rember to deactivate my Adobe stuff this time. They are good about getting you reactivated tho.

Thanks for the  info. I never expected to have a cross platform issue.