Official GIGABYTE Forum

G1.Assassin 2 - AHCI versus IDE mode versus disk 0 disk 1 oddity

RobD

My disk setup is 2 x 2tb drives on Intel ports 0 and 1 and BD drive on port 5  bios is F10
When I first [this first] installed 7x64, I had the intel sata ports set to ide mode [chasing bsod on resume problem] and when I got to the screen where setup asks for which disk to install to, I deleted all current partitions so I had just disk 0 and 1 to choose from, chose disk 0 and continued the install.

Then checked for my bsod on resume from sleep - all ok
Then went on to chase the clock problem for C-BuZz [another thread] and at some stage, I reset cmos and loaded optimised defaults.
When windows booted to the desktop, I noticed that it was installing drivers  ??? I clicked on the message to see what drivers it was intalling and it was hdd port drivers.
After puzzling for a moment as to why this was happening, I realised that it was because I had reset cmos and the default for the sata ports is ahci mode.

That was all fine, until I went to do a fresh install of 7x64 and when I arrived at the 'choose a disk' screen, I noticed that it was showing disk 0 as empty with no partitions and disk 1 was the partitioned disk holding my currrent OS - huh!! :o ???
So I cancelled the install and let windows boot to the desktop, called up disk management and sure enough, it showed the same thing - disk 0 unallocated and disk 1 as system.

So I restarted and went back to bios to set the ports back to ide mode, restarted and booted from the 7x64 dvd and now at 'choose a disk' screen, it showed what I was expecting in the first place - disk 0 as partitioned and in use and disk 1 as empty.

I'm not sure if this is normal behavior or not, or even if it's anything worth worring about, but one would expect the disk connected to port 0 to always show as disk 0 regardless of ahci or ide mode.
Maybe this is a fix in bios F11

RobD

Re: G1.Assassin 2 - AHCI versus IDE mode versus disk 0 disk 1 oddity
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 12:09:49 pm »
Ok, this is getting weirder!
I did an install of 7x64 in ahci mode with the same drive setup as above, deleted all partitions, chose disk 0 to install to, yet when I go to disk managment it shows disk 0 as having the windows installation, but disk 1 as having the 100Mb system reserve/boot partition.

Now here's the really weird part, the above is only true IF there is no external usb hdd plugged in.
If I plug in a usb hdd and restart the computer, disk management now shows the opposite - disk 0 has the 100Mb partition and disk 1 has the windows installation   ???

Not only that, but after copying x64 drivers from the usb hdd to the desktop and installing chipset and vga drivers [Nvidia gtx 680] + restarts as required, then putting the computer to sleep [with usb hdd still plugged in], when attempting to resume from sleep, it failed to do so and went back to bios POST [looped a couple of times] and loaded the boot manager screen. I chose 'boot normally' and it got to the desktop with a message that it had recovered from a serious error - details of which were 'bsod'.....hmmm....the plot thickens! I think I'm getting closer to why I had a permanent bsod on resume from sleep on another configuration.

Will do this again but with disk 1 not plugged in....see if it can install to a non existant drive!!   :D