Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z77-D3H coil whine with activated CPU energy saving options

alllala

Hi there,

All the noisy generations of PC I owned, should finally come to a quite end with the eventually affordable SSD.
At least I thought so. Going to the extreme of an silent Computer you encounter the strangest problems.
One of them is coil whining.

Unfortunately, my motherboard knows to bother me with noise that is changing not only in its high frequent, but also in its volume. It´s like a dog whistle. Not that it is really loud - some might say it´s almost silent, so most people wouldn´t notice, since the normal computer noise they have, but for me I´m always in the state of not knowing, whether that noise I hear might be a tinnitus or it´s my coils of the CPU voltage control. I kind of drives me crazy. But if I disable all the energy saving Options of my CPU, the whistle is silent.

Will there ever be a bios update to solve that problem of coil whining with the energy saving state of the CPU, or can I do anything else to let my CPU be power efficient like I want it to be, without hearing it whine about?

alllala

Re: GA-Z77-D3H coil whine with activated CPU energy saving options
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 01:25:06 pm »
Well, I looked into the matter and found the culprit energy saving option.  It´s the C3/C6 energy saving state of the CPU that leads to the coil whine.

Could this even be fixed with a bios update?  Which coil on the motherboard would be the probable culprit in this case. I hear that it must be one around the socket, but because of my cooler it´s hard to reach the area.

alllala

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 06:32:59 pm »
I thought this is the official Forum from Gigabyte. Should I contact the technical support of Gigabyte directly, to get an answer?

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 03:31:57 am »
now did you notice where the noise from? I turned no my z77-d3h and tried to hear something else but only my cpu fan.
If i temporarily remove my fan and try to hear from the cpu, there is nothing.

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 03:57:05 pm »
I thought this is the official Forum from Gigabyte. Should I contact the technical support of Gigabyte directly, to get an answer?

This is Official GIGABYTE Forum, one of a few. It enables exchange of experience and help among GIGABYTE users mainly in UK & IRL but not only of course :-)
For official reply from GIGABYTE I would suggest you to contact tech support in your country. You can submit a ticket at:
http://www.gigabyte.de/support-downloads/support-downloads.aspx
or contact through the ways shown at: http://www.gigabyte.de/about-gigabyte/contact-us.aspx
Might be also worth to ask at: http://forum.gigabyte.de
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)