Official GIGABYTE Forum

U1g(UEFI BIOS Update

Larkina

U1g(UEFI BIOS Update
« on: July 21, 2012, 01:34:15 pm »
I've been reading where people are having problems with the new U1g(UEFI BIOS update. I'm currently using the Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 v1.3  motherboard. Should I update my BIOS now or should I wait?  To update this new BIOS can I do it sameway as all other BIOS updates in the past using a
usb drive? And one last question. Does this update add to performance or is it more user friendly? Thank you in advance for any help.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: U1g(UEFI BIOS Update
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 02:38:16 pm »
Hi there,

The choice is yours and although the AMI BIOS is still being worked on it is pretty stable otherwise Gigabyte wouldn't release it. If you are not overclocking then it should be fine but, if you are looking for improvements from the Award BIOS for O/C'ing then you maybe disappointed as this seems to be the area which needs fine tuning in the AMI BIOS.

You can't update to the AMI BIOS in the usual way and it is a little more complicated. You need to create a Bootable USB pendrive and then use the FLASHEFI.EXE program in DOS to flash the BIOS. You only have to do this for the switch from Award to AMI BIOS though and once you have done it future updates can once again be run using QFlash.

There are plenty of screen shots of the new AMI BIOS on Gigabyte boards and I prefer it to the old Award BIOS but, it is different and can take a little getting used to, especially if, like me, you have been running Gigabyte boards with the Award BIOS for a long time!  :D
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Larkina

Re: U1g(UEFI BIOS Update
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 06:59:50 pm »
Okay absic, I'm so glad I inquired about this and thank you for the help. Yes by the way I do overclock my cpu. I'm using an Intel i5 2500k and it is overclocked to 4.5Ghz., so I'll study up on flashing from AMI BIOS to Award BIOS. But I'll wait as you say until they have made more progress in the OC area. Thank you again.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 07:03:12 pm by Larkina »