Official GIGABYTE Forum

G.1 Assassin 2 bios F7 achieves the impossible - 4tb raid0 efi boot on marvell.

RobD

According to Gigabyte, the below pic is impossible, but I have done it, but only with bios version F7. Later versions and certainly by F11, this is not possible, that is - raid0 array on the marvell booting 4tb efi with all 4tb available [no lost space, no 2tb clip]
But Gigabyte are right, this should not be possible, even Intel's DX79SR board can't do this [got one of those as well now]

What led to this is a long story.  I'm currently waiting to see if  Gigabyte can also do the impossible and explain the unexplainable!  :D

Interestingly, you may note that there is only one system partiton [usually two for efi] of the usual 100Mb when in mbr mode, but this one shows as efi.
And also note the total capacity of a bit over 4tb, this is waaayyy more than I can get from a pair of 2tb drives in any other configuration, usually only around 3.8tb, that's about 200Gb less!! :o

RobD

Interestingly, you may note that there is only one system partiton [usually two for efi] of the usual 100Mb when in mbr mode, but this one shows as efi.

Ah sorry, the 128MB msr partition does exist, just not visible in drive management, but can be seen if you restart setup with the f6 drivers.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 05:40:02 am by RobD »

RobD

Well, this "impossible" installation has worked the best of all so far! All drivers installed without problems, performance index for the hdd is 6.4, previous best in any config on either controller was 6.2, sleep is lightning fast, about 1.5 secs to sleep and a few secs to wake and 200GB more hdd space than any other config.
Might stick with F7 and not bother with the Intel raid crash issue [won't need that anyway with marvell in raid]  ;D

Interestingly, when I went back to win setup with the f6 drivers to check the partitions, at the screen where your asked which disk you want to install to, it had a message that windows could not install to this drive because it was a gpt partition...."well..erm..to late to complain about that doc...windows is already installed there"   :D

RobD

No, forget this, it is not stable. It is exploiting a loophole in the bios which should not allow this to happen.