Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA770-DS3 v2.0 endless reboot

Veki

GA-MA770-DS3 v2.0 endless reboot
« on: July 28, 2012, 03:36:56 pm »
Hi all.

I have had this board for 3-4 years now without problems until today.

Today my PC would just constantly reboot.
I removed all peripherals (mouse, keyboard, joystick), unplugged LAN cable, removed RAM, HDD and VGA card. All I left was CPU, MBO and PSU and it would still be stuck in endless reboot.

I tested VGA, RAM and PSU and they all work OK. I cleared CMOS, but that didn't help.

Here is what happens :
I press power button and CPU fan spins up
after 3-4 seconds I hear 1 long beep and then machine restarts
now for 3 restarts I don't hear any beeps and machine restarts in 3-4 seconds
after 3rd restart I again hear 1 long beep after 3-4 seconds and then machine restarts
again for 3 restarts I hear nothing
and then again 1 long beep

I did not do any software or driver updates nor did I flash my BIOS.
I did a couple of weeks ago got 2 BSOD with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error.
Yesterday my PC froze completely in Windows so I did a restart by pressing case button. After the restart PC froze on POST screen right after memory check. After 2nd restart I worked normally for the rest of the day.

So is there anything else I could do to try to fix my MBO?

I found this site with a similar problem : http://comerford.cc/wordpress/fixing-gigabyte-ud3r/
Do you think this would help? Should I unsolder main BIOS? Would that make the board load from backup BIOS?

autotech

Re: GA-MA770-DS3 v2.0 endless reboot
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 12:55:12 pm »

Welcome to the gigabyte forum.

I wouldnt do the back up bios i would flash the bios to the latest level first and see if that helped. As for how to use the back up bios or get it to transfer to your main bios chip this forum has a search feature that will work. Also your information is very lacking the following template is a good idea to use.

Main Hardware Information:
CPU (Make / Model / FSB Speed / Voltages)
RAM (Make / Model / Memory Speed / Voltages / Number of Sticks)
Motherboard (Make / Model)
Video Card (Make / Model / Core Speed / Shader Speed / Memory Speed)
PSU (Make / Model / Max Wattage / Amperage)

Other Hardware Information :
Monitor
HDD/SSDs
Other PCI/PCI-X Cards
Optical Drives

Software Information:
Operating System :
Video Card Drivers in Use ( and tried ):
Motherboard Drivers Used:
Apps/Games causing issues ( and if they've been patched ):
All major components check 100% after thorough testing ( eg. Memory & Memtest86 ):
System clean of viruses / spyware etc:
Other things tried:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 12:56:20 pm by autotech »
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
Re: GA-MA770-DS3 v2.0 endless reboot
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 10:09:33 pm »

Veki ,even if you say you tested them ,i would advice you to replace  the RAM and PSU  ,swap them for some other ones known to work as this ones when they go bad give such simptoms.

You have to also understand that the board is budget one and failure is normal.I have replaced one of these ,for a friend ,with a UD3 770.The issue was identical ,continuous reboot (but never recovering).

autotech advice regarding BIOS update is strange as updating the board in an unstable state (random freezing) will lead you to a bricked board.Bios updates are always made under a stable environment.

I woudn t exclude some  BIOS virus/bootkit of some kind that tryes to get your BIOS corrupted.
I would run a strong anti-rootkit from a linux live CD ( BitDdefender ,Kaspersky or Dr Web).

If you have flashed a SLIC-ed BIOS then this may be the cause for instability.

Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150