Official GIGABYTE Forum

Having problems with my Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

Having problems with my Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
« on: August 11, 2012, 01:56:20 pm »

Giga-byte technical support

I am having problems with my computer, this as been on going for some months now but as got worse and its now getting to the point that’s its very inconvenient, it starts up ok, and runs for hours, but if I put it into standby it fails to resume from the standby position, the power supply just pulses on and off, the same thing happens if I switch off and reboot to another Operating System.

If I leave it switched off for five minutes, it starts up normally and continues to run ok until I switch it off.

I have disconnected all plug-in cards, including the video card, hard drives, floppy disc drive, and DVD r/w drives, also disconnected the ram modules when in fault condition, and changed the power supply but still pulsing on & off with all phase leds flashing & cpu fan running then stops and restarts over again, until switched off and restarted after 5 minutes then ok.

Which only leaves the Mother Board & CPU which could be causing?, the problem

My Computer Specifications

The Mother Board model is  GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.0     S/N084140013999
Intel E8500 3.166Ghz x 2 Duel Core CPU
Ram Modules Corsair Dominator CM2X2048-8500C5D X 2 (4GB in total)
Corsair TX650 Power Supply.
Operating system windows XP Pro.
Bios version F12.
Seagate 1.5TB Sata Hard drive

I would be grateful for any advice that you can give me to sort out the above problem.
Thank you in advance.
Mr C W Woodward

Email:  clivewoodward@tiscali.co.uk                                30th July 2012

Giga-byte technical support

I have tried your recommendation with taking out CMOS battery to reset the BIOS and powered up system, then loading optimized default, which failed to make any difference, I then tried Loading Failsafe default settings which still failed to make any difference.

I had already changed the power supply, as I stated in my original message to you, this was taken from a fully working machine, and it appears the power supply safety circuit is being triggered ether by Over-Voltage, Under-Voltage, Over-Temperature, Over-Current, Over-Loading, or Short circuit, but which one is any body’s guess, also tried flashing the BIOS to lower F numbers, but without success.     

I have disconnected the sata hard drive and then rebooted the system and it shows system boot failure, which is what you would expect, I then reset the system with Ctrl +Alt +Delete and then reboots again, if I then repeat that sequence again 2 or 3 times and then Power Off, then restart the system it starts to pulse On and Off as described in my first communiqué to you   

Please advise, thank you.