Official GIGABYTE Forum

Dual Boot

Graceman

Dual Boot
« on: July 27, 2012, 03:57:47 pm »
I have GA X58A-ud3r ver 1.0 MB

It is supposed to be dual boot and I want to upgrade my bios to F8a version I do not want to lose current Bios as its ok at the moment.
The backup bios still has a very early bios and what i was wondering is it possible to copy the current Bios I know works in to the back up bios and then I can update to new version. then if its in trouble I can revert to the one i know works in the backup.

So how do I copy the current working reliable Bios to the back up position?
Antec NSK4000B II Midi Tower Case
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 rv 1.0
I7/3770K
16Gb Csair Vengance Ram
Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK PSU  CX430V2  
OCZ RVD3-FHPX4-240G 240GB RevoDrive3 PCI-E SSD

Alcool DC-LT 12v Ceramic Pump
Alcool Rvoir for DC-LT Pump
Alcool DC-LT Pump Top
EK Supremacy CSQ Univ Full

RobD

Re: Dual Boot
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 02:27:09 pm »
Hi, the backup bios on these boards is not accessible to the user [no bios changeover switch], only the system can access the backup and only then if the main bios fails to boot.
Then on the next restart, the system boots the backup and overwrites the main with the contents of the backup.

Also, it's not stated in the manual for this board, but I'm sure I've read in another manual that if after flashing the main to a newer version and the boot was successfull, that the backup was then also updated with the contents of the main.

Which leads me to a somewhat risky thought! If this automatic updating of the backup bios does not occurr on your board and it keeps it's original contents forever and you want to save a copy of it, then you could...could....[I really shouldn't even mention this!!] open a bios file for that board in a hex editor, modify the file, upload it, the boot will fail, restore from backup would kick in and viola! your main bios now has the same version as the backup.......feeding lions with bare hands can result in serious injuy or death!!!  :D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 02:27:47 pm by RobD »

Graceman

Re: Dual Boot
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 08:34:36 pm »
Its not whats in the backup file that I want to keep its the main boot file I currently use on boot.
I want this in the backup.
Then I can update knowing that the good bios is saved. the original was not good.
Antec NSK4000B II Midi Tower Case
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 rv 1.0
I7/3770K
16Gb Csair Vengance Ram
Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK PSU  CX430V2  
OCZ RVD3-FHPX4-240G 240GB RevoDrive3 PCI-E SSD

Alcool DC-LT 12v Ceramic Pump
Alcool Rvoir for DC-LT Pump
Alcool DC-LT Pump Top
EK Supremacy CSQ Univ Full