Official GIGABYTE Forum

G1 Sniper 3 - no video

G1 Sniper 3 - no video
« on: July 13, 2012, 03:30:41 pm »
I have built a new computer based around the G1 Sniper 3 motherboard using these specs:
  • G1 Sniper 3 motherboard
  • Intel Xeon E3-1220 CPU
  • G.Skill 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Ripjaw Series (9-9-9-24) Dual Channel kit F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL RAM
  • 8800 GT video card (to test)

The problem arises when I try to start up the machine. Everything seems to work fine but no video is output to the monitor. This happens no matter what video display port I use - the onboard hdmi or dvi, or the dedicated card's dvi ports. The debug LED shows either the code A6 or Ab (I assume A6 since AB is capitalised in the manual). Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot and/or fix the issue I'm having?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:41:08 pm by AlienatedHumour »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: G1 Sniper 3 - no video
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:40:40 am »
Hi and welcome.

I would suggest trying to boot without the dedicated graphics card attached and see if that has any effect on the system. It might be expecting a IvyBridge chip with the onchip graphics. The other thing is that you might not have a BIOS that supports your CPU and you will have to update it first. If you have a SandyBridge or IvyBridge chip try installing that and see what difference it makes.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 09:42:12 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 03:47:03 pm »
Hi and welcome.

I would suggest trying to boot without the dedicated graphics card attached and see if that has any effect on the system. It might be expecting a IvyBridge chip with the onchip graphics.

I have tried both with and without a dedicated card in my system with the same result every time: a blank screen that tells me no signal is being received. This happens regardless of which slot the card is placed into or which hdmi/dvi port is used on either integrated or dedicated graphics.

The other thing is that you might not have a BIOS that supports your CPU and you will have to update it first. If you have a SandyBridge or IvyBridge chip try installing that and see what difference it makes.

I'm not able to check if the BIOS supports my CPU as I can't see any video output though it should be able to as of BIOS F4 (per GIGABYTE's website) If I don't have an available ivy bridge CPU handy what can I do?

Wentworth

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 09:39:46 pm »
Good day

The Sniper 3 is an ivybridge architecture that also supports sandybridge cpu.  Therfore if you have an ivybride CPU you must install RAM that are under the 22nm specs in order to work properly and not imulate the traffic.  It will be the very same with Graphic cards.  In order to install a G3 card you need to have a CPU and memory that support the 22nm specs (ivybridge).  Otherwise it won't work at all.  The last thing is the Power Supply that needs to be up to the ivybridge standards because 32nm (Sandybridge) and 22nm (Ivybridge) has totally different amperage std.  The first thing I would do is see would check if everything is compatible.  As far as the BIOS upgrade I would choose the one that is compatible with either the Sandybridge or Ivybridge.

Hope this will help

jhan1

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 02:34:27 pm »
Just put together my new system yesterday and had this problem also.  My video card was in the top slot and i was getting no output to my monitor.  I dropped it down to the second slot and then I got video.  Did my bios adjustments and made sure it was booting correctly.  Moved the card back to the top slot and all was working then.  Maybe it wasn't seated properly to start with.  Good luck  :)