Official GIGABYTE Forum

Do I need SATA RAID/AHCI driver to install XP on a PC w/ GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 mobo?

mudcat

Greetings,
I have a GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 mobo that I run Windows 7 on. I have tried to install Windows XP on another disc (SATA) in order to have a dual-boot setup. The installation has no problem recognizing the the SATA disc and partition and the install goes fine for about 30 minutes. However, setup hangs in the middle of the install. I'm sort of a newbie and am a little confused by the Gigabyte manual. On page 87, under the title "Installing the SATA Raid/AHCI Driver and Operating System", it says "To install Windows XP, you need to install the SATA RAID/AHCI Driver". Please forgive my novice questions, but...

1) Am I correct in assuming that even though the installation recognizes the disc partition,  XP is not loading because of the missing driver, and therefore, the driver(s) needs to be installed initially? even though I will not have a RAID setup?

2) The manual says to install all drivers in \BootDrv\irst\64bit via a floppy. Since, I don't have a floppy drive, I am in the process of using nLite to slipstream the SATA RAID/AHCI driver into a bootable installation CD. However, there appears to be 2 ini files. Should I include them both?

3) Lastly, there appears to be many drivers and programs on the Gigabyte CD that can be installed. Are there any others that are essential to the XP installation? Do I need to include any other drivers in my bootable CD?

It could be that I am missing something entirely. Thank you in advance for anyone who can help.

-Bryan
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:54:01 pm by mudcat »

mudcat

Please.  I'd appreciate any response. Thanks.