Official GIGABYTE Forum

Smart6 uninstall after updating to new UEFI Bios and USB not working

I have the GA-Z68X-UD3H motherboard and I just recently updated it to the new UEFI BIOS. However, after updating, 2 of the USB 2.0 ports at the back stopped working. This board has 4 total USB 2.0 ports at the back, but the other 2 are working properly right now. Also, I come back to the Gigabyte support website to check if there is new BIOS, and notice there is a note to tell people that removing some Gigabyte software before updating BIOS because some of them will have conflict with the new BIOS. I did not see this at first, so then now I tried to remove them all. But I cannot remove Smart6 because it failed at Erase Password. If I remember correctly, I did not set new password for the Smart6. Even though if I set it, then during the remove, it should ask for the password, but it did not. So I wasn't be able to remove the application. Is there any way beside re-install Windows to achieve that? There is another idea that I thought, which involving reflash the BIOS to the old hybrid version and remove the software, but the risk is too high that I could damage the motherboard and that isn't officially way to return to the old one.

RobD

Re: Smart6 uninstall after updating to new UEFI Bios and USB not working
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 07:58:13 pm »
Does the missing usb hub show in device manager as not working? If so, try updating the driver via the auto search method.

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 09:18:13 pm »
There is no missing driver as far as I can see. I notice that once I plug the flash drive in to the port, the flash drive actually has light on, but the light will turn off about 1s later. So that means it has power but not maintain for a long time. It just happened after I flashed the BIOS. I also lost the ability to wake computer from keyboard because there is no power management tab from the keyboard in the Device Settings that allows me to check to wake the computer up.

RobD

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 03:59:53 am »
So if I read you correctly, the software removal requested by gigabyte was for if you flash from the desktop?
If so, I wonder if reflashing using the F7 method will restore things.

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 03:58:27 am »
Hello

i am facing the same problem with motherboard model  GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 after moving to UEFI

the issue here is not the problem of uninstalling smart6 , because i was able to remove by killing the running files and services and then deleting the whole folder and run registry scanner to correct any invalid inputs.

The main issue we are facing is:

all the USB ports version 2.0 and version 3.0 was working with the old bios , but after upgrading bios to UEFI , only three ports on the case's front continue working and all the remaining built-in ports in the case's back became disabled/unusable.

its really strange problem ? and if Gigabyte failed to solve i will move to MSI motherboards and totally forget Gigabyte forever.

Regards

Ahmed

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 04:13:47 am by alahmed »

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 09:43:46 am »
The main issue we are facing is:

all the USB ports version 2.0 and version 3.0 was working with the old bios , but after upgrading bios to UEFI , only three ports on the case's front continue working and all the remaining built-in ports in the case's back became disabled/unusable.

This is almost the exact issue I am having, however my back panel USB 3.0 ports are functioning. After upgrading to UEFI, I loaded the optimised defaults. Hopefully this is helpful as I'd like the use of my USB 2.0 ports back