Official GIGABYTE Forum

reset Cmos following gigabyte manual, did i kill my motherboard?

reset Cmos following gigabyte manual, did i kill my motherboard?
« on: September 30, 2012, 11:24:01 am »
Situation:
When i try to turn on my computer nothing happens. I don't see any LED turned on, no fan noise, no biib.

Spec:
Ocz vertex 3 256 gb. boot drive
Intel Core i7-2600 k @ 4.4 ghz /w Noctua NH-D14
gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 (rev. 1.0)
Radeon HD 6950 2GB
corsair vengeance 1600 Mhz cl8

History:
I got two threads in sevenforums (Computer doesn't start cant get into bios or advanced start up setting)http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/253356-computer-doesnt-start-cant-get-into-bios-advanced-start-up-setting.html this was the original problem i was trying to solve, when i got suggested to try to reset my Cmos, which i believe just made the situation worse.
then i made a thread in the hardware area in sevenforum. http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/253787-my-computer-dead.html
In those two threads you are able to see what i have tried & what peoples have suggested.

Where i was trying several things since i couldn't get into the bios nor advanced boot, got suggested to reset my CMOS and tried the method by unplugging the battery, didn't work then i tried the Jumper pins, and saw on the internet that i can use some metal object to connect the pins and i used a screwdriver. after that I haven't seen any signal from my computer.

If you read through my first url in seven forum debate then you get a good picture of the situation.

I think my product still got its warranty on it, so if the case is that the product manual is the reason to why i ruined my motherboard can i contact gigabyte and expect to get a new one?

Re: reset Cmos following gigabyte manual, did i kill my motherboard?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 02:10:00 am »
 I've been using a screwdriver too, same as you. My manual says to make sure the power supply is unplugged before doing that, so I just have to ask; did you unplug your power supply before shorting those contacts? It's probably worth going the extra mile and wait a minute or two before touching anything, just to make sure there really is no power. I also press the power button after unplugging because I've found on some builds there can still be a lot of juice left in the system (capacitors and all that).
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Rev 1.0 (F15)
Intel Core i7 3770K CPU
Antec Kuhler H2O 920 Cooler
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC
Mushkin 16GB DDR3-1600 1.5v 9-9-9-24
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 256GB x 2 (RAID 0)
Seagate 3TB 7200 RPM x 3 (RAID 0)
LG BH10LS30 Bluray Drive
Seasonic X760 PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1