Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-EX58-UD5 v1 Pulsing power light

GA-EX58-UD5 v1 Pulsing power light
« on: August 21, 2012, 10:44:31 pm »
I'm hoping someone can provide a little insight in to an issue of a pulsing power button.

The light in question, feeds from the front panel header power connectors, pulses every 5/6 seconds and I cannot resolve the reason as to why.

The machine has been stripped and rebuilt in an effort to find the/any fault.  The blue light used to be on at all times when powered up.  No hardware changes have taken place, all power mangement software has beeen removed.  The sytem has been rebuild twice now from two clean installs, and run under both Win7 x64 & Ubuntu, both produce the same results, steady pulsing.

I've run memory diagnostics, which say everythng is ok, and durning which there is no pulsing?

Any light anyone can give me I'd be greatful, so long as it's steady.

Lochbuie

System: GA-EX58-UD5 v1 F12 BIOS
CPU :i7-930 @2.66 GHz - base setting, no over clocking
Memory: 6 GB Corsair CM3X2G1600
HDD: Samsung SSD 830/Seagate Barracuda/2x Samsung HD103SJ & LG GH22LS50
Graphics: ATI HD 5770
Power: Corsait 650 TX

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-EX58-UD5 v1 Pulsing power light
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 07:47:25 am »
Hi and welcome.

This is a new one on me. The only thing that springs to mind is that it is trying to indicate some sort of "sleep" or power saving mode.

Are you absolutely sure that you have the LED attached to the correct two pins on the front panel conmnector block ? It should be connected to the third and forth pins in from the left on the top row as in the drawing here on page 33 :

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ex58-ud5(p)_e.pdf

I suspect that you have it connected to the first and second which are for messaging

Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 07:37:03 pm »
Dark Mantis,

Many thanks for the swift reply.  Not sure if I should hang the head in shame, but relooked at the front header connections, they are in correct, but I'd identified the wrong connection, not thinking the 'blue' LED was a seperate feed.

It still blinks, which if I read the manual correctly, indicates it's in S1 state which it physically can't be?  All power saving measures are off.

I'm going to search through the manual to see if I've missed anything in the BIOS settings.  It's the only place I can think of the both MS and Linux would have access too that would cause them to think the system is in a sleep state.  Unless anyone knows differently?

The odd thing is it used to be always on until about a month ago.  I've made no system changes, don't use power saving programmes as it upsets some of the programmes I run.  The only thing that's happend is the monthly update from MS.

At least this save's me pulling cables & boards out, I hope.

Lochbuie

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 08:51:15 pm »
Ok, well at least we are getting somewhere. Kill the power saving modes altogether in the BIOS. C1E, C3 etc.

I would also recommend trying an extended clear of the CMOS. Follow these instructions before you alter the BIOS settings.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery overnight before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self , disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:52:02 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 08:24:16 pm »
Dark Mantis,

Back again.  Enjoying the Bank Holiday, this gave the machine more time to discharge.

I've followed your advice and sadly, :(, it's still blinking on/off every 6 or so seconds.  So I'm going to strip the machine down and try various option.

Any other advice/ hints?

Lochbuie

mrix

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 11:45:54 am »
Hello, I can understand this thread is a little old but I have the same issue, I thought that it might of been a problem with the power supply so I purchased a new one and still have the same issue?????
Did you ever resolve this?
Best regards
mrix

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 02:38:33 pm »
Well, this is the latest report on power light pulsing:

Have tried a new power supply on a minimalist board and still have the same results. Reduced and changed the RAM, change drives, graphics and sound cards. Now even more puzzled. ???

Now working from a clean install and about to comb through Win7 logs to see if anything is showing up in there. Applied no updates, so will see what I can find.

Lochbuie
Machines get simpler.  It's the people who get more complicated

mrix

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 06:39:48 pm »
I removed everything to try and eliminate the pulsing power light which did not resolve anything until I noticed I had left one lead in which was the USB plug from my case, I decided to remove that also and the power light for the first time in a long while turned solid blue with no pulsing. My only problem now is that I cant boot up?? I have made a separate thread on that issue though.
Best of luck
mrix

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 07:26:41 pm »
Well, the saga continues, and the cause eludes me completely.

I've tried MIRX's suggestion, which had no effect, sadly  :-[
What I have done is:
  • Stripped the machine down to just a graphics card, which I've changed to an ATi X600 & an NVida models.  With & without extra power requirements.
    Changed the power supply
    Re-flashed the BIOS so now on F13
    Changed the HDD
    Re-installled Win7
    Tried a cold boot using Linux, Ubuntu and Nibblex2010
    Reset the BIOS, giving 72 and 48 hours to discharge.
    Turned every power management option off
    Placed the machine into 'normal' mode no over-clocking.
    Even reduced the CPU multiplier.  All to the same result: The Message/Power LED still pulses every 5-6 second off and on.
I'm no thinking of replacing the BIOS battery to see if that makes any changes.  But frankly I'm stumped, so any suggestion would be greatfully received..

Lochbuie  :-\
Machines get simpler.  It's the people who get more complicated.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 07:29:39 pm by Lochbuie »

passnthru2

• it isn't the dog it's the Rabies
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 01:23:12 am »
if the blinking light isn't bothering anything but you... perhaps the easiest thing to do would be to learn to meditate... just let it go... be here now.
Rosewill Thor V2 White Edition Full Tower
Gigabyte ga-z77x-up5 th Intel lga 1155 WIFI
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.8GHz LGA 1155 
Windows 7 Pro 64bit-
WD 1Tb Bk/ Intel 520 SSD 480GB
Intel 520 SSD Drive/WD Blk 1 Tb Hard Drive
CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 8GB DDR3 2000
MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3G

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 10:57:12 pm »
Solved!! ;D
Finally discoverd what was causing the system to be in a low power state. Gigabyte's Dynamic Energy Saver.  If ALL the settings are not turned off prior to being disabled, it's settings are still stored, even after clearing the BIOS, at least from my point.

Lochbuie