Official GIGABYTE Forum

P55A-UD4P won't reliably wake from sleep

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: P55A-UD4P won't reliably wake from sleep
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 01:39:23 pm »
I was just doing some digging about DES2 and it would see, to be practically impossible to remove it totally once installed so the best thing is to not install it in the first place.

Anyway I am glad that you found your workaround and everything is ok again.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Slider

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 09:11:20 pm »
I was just doing some digging about DES2 and it would see, to be practically impossible to remove it totally once installed so the best thing is to not install it in the first place.

Anyway I am glad that you found your workaround and everything is ok again.

Hi Dark Mantis,

Bad news...  My wife's PC has started suffering from the old "failure to respond after idle power saving features get enabled" problem again.  The only change is that we installed a basic USB 3.0 hub.  Whenever the hub is plugged into a USB 3.0 port on the back of the PC and the PC sits idle for a few hours, when we then try to use it we are left with a black screen and an unresponsive PC. 

As before the only way to get the computer back is to physically switch off the PSU (or unplug the power cable), attempt to turn the power on (to use up any residual power in the PSU), let the system sit for at least 15 seconds, and then power it back on.   If we don't completely remove any source of power all the PC will do is get stuck in a POST cycle where the drives spin up over and over and the monitor remains black all the time.

If we unplug the USB 3.0 hub the system behaves properly, including going to sleep automatically and waking quickly.  Whenever the hub is plugged in though the system keeps locking up every time it attempts to use sleep.

One bit of good news is when it does finally power back on (after us removing all power to the MB), it is able to resume from hibernation (I have hybrid sleep enabled so whenever S3 is used it simultaneously saves the system state to the hard drive).  This means if my wife is working on a document, walks away from the PC for a 20 minute break and returns to find it locked up, she doesn't loose any of her work.

Right now I'm researching the issue (and stumbled upon my original question here through a Google search) and I have just downloaded updated motherboard drivers, sound drivers, SATA drivers, LAN drivers as well as a new version of DES 2.0 (currently running B10.1117.1, current release is B11.0916.1).  Hopefully the issue will be related to an old driver bug or DES2 bug that is resolved.  Note I haven't updated any drivers (other than video) since this issue was "resolved" more than a year ago.

BTW, the only Gigabyte utility installed is DES2.  Although it is installed, I have it configured to be disabled.  Previously if I uninstalled DES2, from then on the system would fail to resume from sleep just the way it is currently.

One additional thing I might try is the USB 3.0 Renesas driver has a configuration setting that allows you to disable USB 3.0 power saving features.  Since the issue shows up with a USB 3.0 hub installed I wouldn't be too surprised if disabling USB 3.0 power saving features might fix the issue.

Right now I'm backing up the entire system in case one of the updated drivers messes something up or doesn't install correctly and corrupts everything.

DM, since we chatted about this issue in Jan, 2011, have you heard anyone else with this issue?  Did you or Gigabyte find a solution?

Thanks for your help,

Slider

Slider

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 09:17:57 pm »
BTW, I found another post on a different forum where someone else seems to have the identical issue with the identical motherboard:

http://www.overclock.net/t/927113/windows-7-will-not-wake-up-from-sleep

Unfortunately the thread only has 6 posts and doesn't provide any solutions.