Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte G-X58-USB3-F3 Motherboard Bios Question

Gigabyte G-X58-USB3-F3 Motherboard Bios Question
« on: October 14, 2012, 10:55:23 am »
Hi Guys

I have what doesn't seem a silly question to me but may well do to you.
I used to be a computer engineer many years ago and things seemed to have moved on somewhat in the Bios.

Can some one please tell me the exact way to set up my bios on the above motherboard. Settings etc??

==================
Within my mother board I have :

Intel i7 3.06 GHz Processor

3 x DDR3 Corsair1600 8gb 9-9-9-24 Ram (12 gb in total).

1 TB Seagate HDD

1 x Windown 7 install.

The main problem is I got a virus a few weeks ago, the pc started to do strange things there after.
I decided to format the HDD and do a complete fresh install of windows software.

I replaced the HDD and memory just in case and now rebuilt the software on the new hdd.

Before I replaced the HDD I though maybe the bios had become corrupt, so I thought it was a good idea to clear the CMOS.

The only thing is I didn't note any of the settings down like a lemon lol.

The P.C Seems to sit at start up screen for about 2 mins then boot up.

This p.c should be lightening fast, and as a system the whole thing now is running pretty poor.
Has anyone got the settings for the bios as I have reset them and unsure of what to enter ...

Sorry for being a complete Dick fool and what ever you think lol ..

Thanks in advance Stuart  ;D

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Gigabyte G-X58-USB3-F3 Motherboard Bios Question
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 08:48:25 pm »
Hi and welcome.

You are not asking for much are you ?  ;D

As your motherboard is an X58 board hopefully you also bought a matching kit of three modules for the memory not just 3 seperate sticks ? By the way there is no such model as the one you have listed so can you correct that please. Also post which revision it is.

The first thing to try is to clear the CMOS.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery overnight before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.

After this you should do a fresh install of the OS. Before that though in the BIOS change the settings for the storage mode for the HDD to AHCI.

The system would be a lot faster if you added a SSD drive to boot from and then used the magnetic drive just for storage. Try installing this little free program for seeing your proper boot speed. It is only tiny but very useful when trying to see what settings have a difference.

http://www.greatis.com/bootracer/
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:57:22 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K