Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 rev 1.3 + i5-3550S POST problem

GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 rev 1.3 + i5-3550S POST problem
« on: December 23, 2012, 02:18:42 pm »
I have been long time reader but first time poster on these boards.

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 (rev. 1.3) motherboard and Intel i5-3550S CPU. I was told the motherboard has BIOS versions F11 or F12 which, supposedly, have Ivy Bridge support. But, the motherboard does not POST with the CPU. I bread-boarded the motherboard outside the case with just CPU and one memory stick -- have not installed in the case at all. So, there is no issue of shorting. The fans (CPU, PSU) spin for 10+ seconds then stop, and restart. This goes on repetitively until the power is turned off. There is no video at all. I have tested with both the HDMI and VGA connections. Since the graphics is integrated, there is no change in video screen lighting either.

Is this most likely due to motherboard not supporting the CPU or is the board faulty? I do not have any Sandy Bridge CPUs to update BIOS on the board.

I have used two PSUs one of which was definitely tested to be working -- used earlier with another board. The CPU was working on another board which had (dual channel) memory issues (OS crash and reboots). I have checked seating of CPU, heat sink and fan, and RAM several times.

What's the significance of faint/low volume beeps from speaker? I get continuous loud beeps without any RAM but very short beeps (one or two?) that are barely audible in a quiet room. So it seems like there are no error beep codes.

Also, why does the BIOS download page say support for 22nm CPUs in update F10 but specifically 22nm E1 stepping CPU (Ivy bridge) in update F12? Does this mean my motherboard has either F11 or below or faulty?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 rev 1.3 + i5-3550S POST problem
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 02:57:50 pm »
hi there,

according to the CPU support list: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3976 you need BIOS version F13 to run your chosen CPU. I would think that the motherboard has an earlier version which is why you are having problems.

To update the BIOS you need either a supported CPU or a friendly Computer store who can flash the BIOS for you but who will probably make a charge for doing so.

The other option is to contact Gigabyte Tech Support and arrange for them to do the update for you.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 04:00:17 pm »
according to the CPU support list: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3976 you need BIOS version F13 to run your chosen CPU. I would think that the motherboard has an earlier version which is why you are having problems.

Absic, thanks for the reply. That's what I was suspecting and wanted to confirm if it is BIOS update or bad MB.

On a related note, what do low volume beeps indicate? I mean the volume of the beeps is so low that I have to be right near the board to hear.

To update the BIOS you need either a supported CPU or a friendly Computer store who can flash the BIOS for you but who will probably make a charge for doing so.

The other option is to contact Gigabyte Tech Support and arrange for them to do the update for you.

I am waiting on a Celeron CPU (Sandy Bridge) so I can update the BIOS and test.  I will wait for the CPU. :-)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 04:57:55 pm by gb_help »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 05:24:24 pm »
Not had low volume beeps myself so this is a new one on me. That said continuous short beeps would usually indicate a power error, continuous long beeps a graphic card error. However, (why must there always be a but or however?) it is also a possibility that they indicate a RAM error or CPU error.

Why you are only getting low volume beeps I can only guess here but it could be the motherboard speaker you are using or an indication that the board isn't powering up properly.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 05:50:54 pm »
Not had low volume beeps myself so this is a new one on me. That said continuous short beeps would usually indicate a power error, continuous long beeps a graphic card error. However, (why must there always be a but or however?) it is also a possibility that they indicate a RAM error or CPU error.

Why you are only getting low volume beeps I can only guess here but it could be the motherboard speaker you are using or an indication that the board isn't powering up properly.

The error beeps (like those that happen without any RAM modules) are very high volume and can be heard from other rooms. So it is not that speakers can't output sufficient volume.

I almost missed the low volume beeps. Thought it was the CPU fan. I tested with and without the speaker and there is sound only with speaker attached.

If the board had powering up problems, would it stay on for more than 10 seconds?

So, it is most likely issue related to CPU not being recognized. The RAM and CPU used on the board worked on a different motherboard barely a few days ago. Also, the heat sink is not even warm immediately after power off.

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 07:55:51 pm »
Update:
I just got the Sandy Bridge Celeron CPU delivered. I installed the CPU, board POSTed on first try -- all under 5 minutes. As feared, the BIOS was only F11 hence the problem with POSTing with an Ivy Bridge CPU. I get the single loud beep which probably indicates a successful POST or system going into BIOS (because there is no HDD hooked up).

Are the BIOS updates cumulative? That is, can I update to F13 without updating to F12?

Should I update to U1b (UEFI) BIOS or are there any known issues with that BIOS?

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 09:34:13 pm »

I updated the BIOS to F13 but not U1b. Update went fine and recognizes Ivy Bridge CPU mentioned in the title of this post now. So, I am back to the original CPU. However, there are some minor errors when I enter BIOS after POST, indicating that there were failed boots. I think it is still picking up old settings.

So anyone who comes here searching for similar error with this board, you probably want BIOS F13 with your Ivy Bridge CPU.

Anyway, installing Windows 7 as I type this post.

Thanks again for everyone and specifically Absic who chimed in.