Official GIGABYTE Forum

Core i5-3470 on H61..?

snadge

• The Tech Forum
Core i5-3470 on H61..?
« on: February 08, 2013, 01:40:10 am »
I am getting a Core i5-3470 - I was planning on using a budget H61 board, but I read someone saying (elsewhere) that this is not possible without first updating the H61 bios with a 32nm sandy-bridge CPU

is this correct?

or is it an old post relating to when Ivy-Bridge first came out?

any other advice would be great

thanks

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Core i5-3470 on H61..?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 09:06:59 am »
Hi,

There could be a BIOS related issue with using the i5-3470 processor which would need the BIOS to be updated first, as you have read. The thing to do is check the CPU support list for the motherboard that you are thinking of getting to see which BIOS version is required to support the processor.

If you are buying the motherboard from a reputable dealer you can always ask them to flash the BIOS to the latest version for you, before they ship the board, to make sure it is up-to-date. They may make a small charge for doing this but it can save a lot of grief when it comes to putting the system together.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

snadge

• The Tech Forum
Re: Core i5-3470 on H61..?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 06:58:12 pm »
personally I think it was related to boards that were out before ivy-bridge.. I mean the ones im looking at say 22nm supported, therefore it would have to support a 22nm core-i5 chip otherwise they would be mis-selling the product, I think the person that said it was refering to Ivy-Bridge in general and not a specific ive bridge chip,meaning if you have a board that was sandy-bridge (still on sale) that it may support Ivy-Bridge with BIOS update.