Official GIGABYTE Forum

Does the GA-X79-UP4 support the Intel Rapid Start Technology?

NLW

Hello..

Does the GigaByte GA-X79-UP4 (x79Express Chipset) support the Intel Rapid Start Technology (IRST)?

I have searched the forum and Intel site. On the Intel site I found a User guide to install the IRST ,
    on the system requirements section they only specified the Z77/H77/Q77 Express Chipsets.
    Is this guide outdated?
    In the UP4 Bios (F3t) there is no IRST switch? And the software won’t install ;)
    So, what is the status of the Intel Rapid Start Technology on the GA-X79-UP4 ??

Small summary of my System:
GigaByte GA-X79-UP4 (f3t), Intel i7 3970X (default settings), 16GB.
2 SSD OCZ Raid(0) Intel Rapid Storage 12.6. OS Win8Pro 64bit.
3 HDDs WD Raid(5) with 64GB SSD (intel smart response Technology)

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
Re: Does the GA-X79-UP4 support the Intel Rapid Start Technology?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 08:22:50 pm »
Hi NLW,

I find this topic:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/50579-gigabyte-x79-up4-help-raid-please.html#post444208

Extract:
he told me to remove 2 of my RAM sticks and to plug my optical drive into a GSATA3 port instead of where I had it plugged in, and to make sure I wasn't undervolting my RAM, it IS 1.5V RAM and that was where it was set in the BIOS so no issue there.

Once I reset the BIOS RAID array to iRST and plugged the DVD-RW optical drive into GSATA3 on the mobo, Windows cruised on through without a hitch !

Return here for news about your situation, after make a change...

NLW

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 10:07:17 pm »
Hi GG,

Thanks for the quick response..

But, there is nothing wrong with my Intel Rapid Storage Technology.
That’s running perfectly.
Two SSDs in Raid (0) and three Hard Drives in Raid (5) with Intel Smart response Technology enabled on a 64GB part of another SSD.

But my question is.. How to enable Intel Rapid Start Technology (Also shorten with IRST) on the GA-X79-UP4..

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 10:27:04 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 10:41:19 pm »
Understand how this works. It was made for people that had hard drives.

It was done to help you get better speed out of your hard drives using a SSD as Cache.

You can only use the hard drives with the OS on those drives. If you have the OS on the SSD drives it isn't going to work.

Again the OS has to be on the Hard Drives for it to work right.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

NLW

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 10:55:00 pm »
@ Gloup_Gloup
Yep, as mentioned, in my first post, this guide assumes the 77 Express Chipset series.
but maybe it’s an old document and was the X79 still in development.
The BIOS part and installing the software according to that document is where it goes wrong.
No Intel Rapid Start Technology under the Bios Power settings.

So, maybe GigaByte has to update the Bios, to make it work??

The second link refers to the Smart Response Technology, and that works like a charm. No problems there.

@ dmdilks,
I have the Intel Smart Respose Technology running on 3 HDD’s without the OS installed on them. But with large files.
And as mentioned earlier, it works perfectly. I did it, because I had a spare SSD (128GB). Now I have a spare SSD 50GB. LOL. And yes its smoother now..

Why does Intel call there technologies almost the same!!!
My question still remains. How to enable the Rapid Start Technology.