Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P55A-UD3 (rev. 2.0) can't change boot source to dvd

GA-P55A-UD3 (rev. 2.0) can't change boot source to dvd
« on: February 05, 2013, 06:32:39 am »
Hello,

I recently tried setting up Windows XP under VirtualBox in my linux system.  It failed miserably, and also corrupted the existing XP installation.  I'm trying to reinstall XP so I can upgrade to Windows 7, but the motherboard insists on booting from the hard drive.  I've tried several times to modify the BIOS boot order, but even though it says the cdrom is first, it boots from the hard drive, where I can select either the perfectly working linux or the corrupt XP.  I also tried using F12 to interactively change the boot device, but even though it says it changed, after I proceed it still boots from the HD.  The next time I try F12, the HD is still selected. 

What now?  I can't even reinstall Windows!

Re: GA-P55A-UD3 (rev. 2.0) can't change boot source to dvd
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 07:30:43 am »
After waiting a couple of days to hear from someone, I widened my search to find anything at all about dvd problems.  I see several complaints that the bios on various boards can't see a SATA cdrom, which would match perfectly what I'm seeing.  Is this also a problem on my board? 

Do I have to go buy another IDE dvd to get this damn thing to boot from?  But why did it install XP the first time? and then linux? Can anyone help?

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 02:35:28 am »
I'm having the exact same problem.  I have a Sniper 3 motherboard and it's brand new.  I also got the ASUS SATA CD drive that was by far the most popular one on Newegg with about 5,000 5star ratings.  When I go into the BIOS,,, it doesn't see it.,  It's not even an option in the boot order  But when I boot into Linux Mint, there it is.  WTF?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 06:05:13 pm »
If you have Quick Boot enable try and disable it. Plus disable the other two boot option too.

Integrated Peripherals

Make sure this set right too

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (Intel P55 Chipset)

Specifies the operating mode of the integrated

SATA controllers.

Disabled
Allows the SATA controllers to operate in Legacy IDE mode.
In Legacy mode the SATA controllers use dedicated IRQs that cannot be shared with other device.
Set this option to Disabled if you wish to install operating systems that do not support Native mode.

Enabled
Allows the SATA controllers to operate in Native IDE mode.
Enable Native IDE mode if you wish to install operating systems that support Native mode. (Default)
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 05:07:36 pm »
I have the exact same problem.  I even have the exact same CD drive.  In fact I can't boot from any external device, CD or USB stick.  Has anyone figure this out?  I really need to fix it, but I put in a ticket with Gigabyte a week ago and they still haven't responded, and I need to install Linux.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 02:44:02 am »
Where do you have the DVD-rom connected to the Intel or Marvell? I have used almost every brand out there with no problem on a lot of Gigabyte boards.

Plus now do you have your sata controllers setup? Can you list them?

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 02:50:30 am by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.