Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-M57SLI-S4 and Windows 7

miikal

GA-M57SLI-S4 and Windows 7
« on: January 11, 2014, 12:20:20 pm »
I have the GA-M57SLI-S4 ver 1.0 with the F15e bios. The system is currently running Windows XP sp3 and is rock solid. Support for XP will be ending in a few months and I will need to upgrade the OS. Gigabyte states I can use Vista but I would rather upgrade to Windows 7. Has anyone tried this and have success?

MisterEd

Re: GA-M57SLI-S4 and Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 08:22:50 pm »
I don't have this board but in case not one else answers...If I were you I would go with Windows 7.

I see on Gigabyte's web site that they at least have an audio driver for your motherboard that works with Windows 7. That is encouraging. It is very possible that Windows 7 itself has all the other drivers you need included with it.

You can download and install the Windows upgrade adviser from Microsoft to see what it says.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

BTW, Back in 2006 when Vista was coming out I had a motherboard with am Nvidia nForce2 chipset. I thought about upgrading to Windows Vista so I tried the last test version which was Vista RC2. It was such a memory hog on my old computer I stuck with Windows XP. I tried again with Windows 7 and was surprised that it worked better than Windows Vista ever had. I think I remember that driver support included with Windows 7 was better than Windows Vista also. Not bad for a chipset that came out in 2002.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 v1.0 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | Windows 7 Ult 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2 (4x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 | Windows 7 Home Prem  64-bit

miikal

Re: GA-M57SLI-S4 and Windows 7
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 10:14:34 am »
Thanks for the advice. I will try the link and see what it tells me. I really don't want to upgrade from XP, as I have had no problems. But eventually I will be forced to by my internet provider. I have seen that many people prefer 7 over Vista so that's the route I want go. Thanks again!