Official GIGABYTE Forum

When USB3 Hub plugged in, USB2 keyboard/mouse not available at boot time...?

tbessie

Hey all...

I've been using a USB2 hub attached to my GA-Z87X-UD4H motherboard-based computer, and have keyboard and mouse plugged into separate USB ports in the back of the computer.

With that arrangement, everything worked fine.

Now that I switched to a USB3 hub (powered), USB2 devices (keyboard and mouse) are unavailable a boot time (though available after boot).  If I disconnect the hub, keyboard and mouse work again.

I've checked the USB modes in the BIOS, and everything is set to default behavior.

Anyone know why this happens? Why would USB2 devices not be available due to the presence of a USB3 hub, even though those devices are not plugged into it?

- Tim

autotech

If I could answer this id be rich. Has been happening for a long time, well since USB3 came out. Sorry I don't have an answer but until someone that does come in and has one don't feel like you are the only one.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

tbessie

If I could answer this id be rich. Has been happening for a long time, well since USB3 came out. Sorry I don't have an answer but until someone that does come in and has one don't feel like you are the only one.

Well, at least I'm not alone. ;-)

Has this been happening, in your experience, on many different motherboards from different manufacturers, or only on this and similar Gigabyte boards?

- Tim

autotech

Across the board. It has something to do with windows not loading the drivers until windows start. I expect it to be fixed in the next version of windows as then it ought to be native. They do have a few native win windows 8 but it still happens.

Really sorry I couldn't answer your question but I had to plug my USB mouse into a USB 2 port so I could use UEFI bios. This question happens to be a popular one in the last 2 years or so.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

tbessie

Across the board. It has something to do with windows not loading the drivers until windows start. I expect it to be fixed in the next version of windows as then it ought to be native. They do have a few native win windows 8 but it still happens.

Really sorry I couldn't answer your question but I had to plug my USB mouse into a USB 2 port so I could use UEFI bios. This question happens to be a popular one in the last 2 years or so.

I'm a bit confused by your response - of course Windows doesn't load the drivers until Windows starts - Windows is the only thing that loads its own drivers, hmm?

I'm talking about the pre-Windows environment, during BIOS POST and soon after, but before Windows starts.

Did you mean that there is no USB3 support until Windows loads? I don't think that's the case, from what I can see; just that USB3 devices modify the way the USB bus works on the motherboard.  A BIOS on a USB3 motherboard *should* support USB3 (tho' I grant it may not in some cases).

But just curious why you're talking about Windows?

- Tim
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 09:24:33 am by tbessie »

autotech

Because that is when the drivers load. The bios environment loads usb 2 at start up. Try a different hub that isn't powered and you might get different results.

Like I said if I understood why it happened on some USB devices and not others id be a lot smarter than I am...lol
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 11:32:07 am by autotech »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Like autotech said everybody is asking the same thing. When USB 3 came out you needed a drive to make them work. It is still basically the same today. Why you would think by now they would have fix it.

The only I can say check some of these settings. Plus I did read that if you have the MB booting in what mode. UEFI or Legacy? UEFI should support USB-3 and Legacy doesn't.

Plus what OS are you running too. If it is windows 7 try boot using legacy mode. Your USB 3 will still work in windows too.

How are these set in the bios:

BIOS Features
USB Support
Disabled All USB devices are disabled before the OS boot process completes.

Full Initial All USB devices are functional in the operating system and during the POST.

Partial Initial Part of the USB devices are disabled before the OS boot process completes. (Default)
This item is configurable only when Fast Boot is set to Enabled. This item is disabled when Fast Boot is
set to Ultra Fast.

The ones here you might have to play around with them.

Peripherals
XHCI Mode (Intel® Z87 Chipset)
Allows you to determine the operating mode for the xHCI controller in OS.
Smart Auto This mode is available only when the BIOS supports the xHCI controller in the pre-boot
environment. This mode is similar to Auto, but it adds the capability to route the ports
to xHCI or EHCI according to setting used in previous boots (for non-G3 boot) in the
pre-boot environment. This allows the use of USB 3.0 devices prior to OS boot. xHCI
controller enabling and rerouting should follow the steps in Auto, when previous boot
routs ports to EHCI. Note: This is the recommended mode when BIOS has xHCI preboot
support. (Default)

Auto BIOS routes the sharable ports to EHCI controller. Then it uses ACPI protocols to
provide an option to enable the xHCI controller and reroute the sharable ports. Note:
This is the recommended mode when BIOS does NOT have xHCI pre-boot support.

Enabled All shared ports are eventually routed to the xHCI controller during the BIOS boot process.
If BIOS does not have pre-boot support for the xHCI controller, it should initially route
the sharable ports to the EHCI controller and then prior to OS boot it should route the
ports to xHCI controller. Note: OS has to provide support for the xHCI controller in this
mode. If the OS does not provide support, all sharable ports won't work.

Disabled The USB 3.0 ports are routed to the EHCI controller and the xHCI controller is turned
off. All USB 3.0 devices function as High Speed devices regardless of xHCI software
support/availability.

Manual Allows you to determine whether to rout the USB 3.0 ports to the xHCI or EHCI controller
before booting to OS, and also provides you with options to manually rout each USB
3.0/2.0 port to xHCI or EHCI.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 01:25:58 pm by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

tbessie

Because that is when the drivers load. The bios environment loads usb 2 at start up. Try a different hub that isn't powered and you might get different results.

Like I said if I understood why it happened on some USB devices and not others id be a lot smarter than I am...lol

Well yeah, but Windows doesn't even come into the picture; pretend Windows wasn't even installed in my original description. :-)

Here's to us all being smarter!

- Tim

tbessie

Like autotech said everybody is asking the same thing. When USB 3 came out you needed a drive to make them work. It is still basically the same today. Why you would think by now they would have fix it.

Thanks for the suggestions - I will experiment and report back!

- Tim

tbessie

Well, I started examining the USB and boot settings, and before I did much in the way of experiments, I noticed that my mouse worked on boot (I have a boot manager that boots first and can take mouse input), but not the keyboard.  So I moved the keyboard USB plug to a different port on the motherboard, and amazingly... it started working, even while the USB3 hub was plugged in.

I'm guessing it has something to do with which path each USB3 port takes; some I guess are connected to the internal USB3 hub on the motherboard, others connected directly to the chipset USB3 support; I am guessing that perhaps the ports attached to the internal hub aren't fully activated at boot time, or perhaps they are and it's the Intel ports that have conflicts.

I can't say I know why, but merely swapping ports on the back enabled the keyboard at boot time.

Very very weird.

- Tim
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:43:25 am by tbessie »

tbessie

Huh, I spoke too soon - it's not working again. D'oh!

- Tim

autotech

Can you use an adapter on usb mouse and plug it into the ps2 port on back of motherboard and if so how does it act?