Official GIGABYTE Forum

BIOS update question

BIOS update question
« on: December 29, 2014, 01:37:11 am »
Hey guys!

I saw a topic talking about BIOS updating, but it was from 2010 and even with its last post from mid 2014, I'd feel like a necromancer reviving that topic...

I got a silmple (I suppose) question:

I'm building myself a new rig and am already (it isn't built yet, waiting for some parts to arrive) downloading all the necessary up-to-date drivers, should any update be needed, and saw unto Gigabyte's Support & Download page BIOS updates options for my GA-H97M-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.0) motherboard.
I don't know exactly which driver/bios versions are coming already shipped with my produts, but I'm downloading them and then I'll see if it needs to be updated. But regarding the BIOS...

There's a F2 version that says to improve SSD performance (which hopefully I will use) and a F3 version saying it improves performance of K-SKUs...

I won't be using a K-version CPU from intel, so, if being needed the BIOS update (supposing mobo being shipped with F1 version), should I patch it to the F2 ver only, 'cause of my SSD... or would it be better to go to F3 one? I mean, maybe not only K-SKUs performance was improved.

What should I do?
Thanks in advance and a happy new year all.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: BIOS update question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 08:00:25 am »
Hi there,

from experience you may well find that your new motherboard will be shipped with the F2 BIOS. Whichever BIOS it is shipped with, I would still recommend updating to the latest version, F3, as it is likely to contain more than just the stated "major" improvement and will also have the changes made to earlier BIOS versions too.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Re: BIOS update question
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 10:57:35 am »
Hi there,

from experience you may well find that your new motherboard will be shipped with the F2 BIOS. Whichever BIOS it is shipped with, I would still recommend updating to the latest version, F3, as it is likely to contain more than just the stated "major" improvement and will also have the changes made to earlier BIOS versions too.

Many thanks.  :D