Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z170X-UD5 USB3.1 FW Update Tool to "Firmware 16"

GA-Z170X-UD5 USB3.1 FW Update Tool to "Firmware 16"
« on: June 21, 2016, 02:32:59 pm »
I was experiencing system lockup issues that I thought were related to the USB 3.1 port on my GA-Z170X-UD5 motherboard, so I used the "USB3.1 FW Update Tool" from the support website to update the firmware. I followed the upgrade instructions, but during the upgrade I only ever saw the progress go to 40% before it rebooted. I tried the firmware upgrade again but it now acts as if it is already been upgraded. Does anyone know where I can go on my machine to verify the "Firmware 16" got installed properly?

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: GA-Z170X-UD5 USB3.1 FW Update Tool to "Firmware 16"
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 06:12:24 am »
I was experiencing system lockup issues that I thought were related to the USB 3.1 port on my GA-Z170X-UD5 motherboard, so I used the "USB3.1 FW Update Tool" from the support website to update the firmware. I followed the upgrade instructions, but during the upgrade I only ever saw the progress go to 40% before it rebooted. I tried the firmware upgrade again but it now acts as if it is already been upgraded. Does anyone know where I can go on my machine to verify the "Firmware 16" got installed properly?

Lets start with what BIOS rev you are running?  You have to be running the latest before using the 3.1 update to F16.  Also did you disconnect power before restarting? 

Its not unusual for this type of application to display less that 100% before completing.  Its such a small amount of code.  I personally don't have this board.  I haven't seen it in BIOS, so I'd look for it in the OS...  Device Manager or maybe in The System Event Logs at the time of restart.  I doubt System Information would help in this case.  Someone else who has the board or one with the dedicated intel 3.1 controller might chime in.
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 01:56:07 pm »

Lets start with what BIOS rev you are running?  You have to be running the latest before using the 3.1 update to F16.  Also did you disconnect power before restarting? 

Its not unusual for this type of application to display less that 100% before completing.  Its such a small amount of code.  I personally don't have this board.  I haven't seen it in BIOS, so I'd look for it in the OS...  Device Manager or maybe in The System Event Logs at the time of restart.  I doubt System Information would help in this case.  Someone else who has the board or one with the dedicated intel 3.1 controller might chime in.

I'm running the F6f Bios which is the latest beta Bios. And yes I disconnected the power per the upgrade instructions.

When I started the upgrade process a pop-up appeared with a link to "https://thunderbolttechnology.net/updates" telling me to make sure I visited the site after the upgrade. At that time behind the pop-up you could see the progress counting up percentage points.  The only button on the popup was "OK".  When I clicked the "OK" button the progress showed 40%; however, as soon as I selected "OK" the machine started shutting down and rebooting.  I never saw the progress go to 100%.  The rest of the story is how I mentioned before.

Since the upgrade I've started having random issues with hard drives not showing up on the SATA controller.  My C drive is a NVME drive and that one never disappears.  I would say it is a drive starting to fail but it is happening to two different drives.  One time I'll boot the machine and they will be listed and the next they will be gone.  I don't see how this could have anything to do with the USB 3.1 firmware update I did but it is one heck of a coincidence.

I would just like to run some software or look at some hardware properties dialog to see if the USB 3.1 firmware actually says version 16.  At this point if I cant figure out my SATA issue pretty soon I'm just going to have to RMA the board.  Sucks but I don't know what else to do.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 02:26:21 pm »
Hello,

I have not tried any of the USB updates but the package from Gigabyte is probably a universal installer for your board and the Z170X-UD5-TH <This one has additional firmware for the Thunderbolt hardware. My guess would be 40% USB then 60% Thunderbolt but seeing as your board does not have this part, it finishes at that point.

Your SATA drives disappearing could be something else, power issues / memory issues...
Are you able to provide a list of all your hardware, what's new / old?
My PC is evolving